PDA

View Full Version : match-com & Yahoo sued over dating fraud

ham
12-11-2005, 09:20 PM
http://today.reuters.com/business/newsarticle.aspx?type=media&storyID=nN18708924&imageid=&cap=

quote: Match.com, a unit of IAC/Interactive Corp. (IACI.O: Quote, Profile, Research), is accused in a federal lawsuit of goading members into renewing their subscriptions through bogus romantic e-mails sent out by company employees. In some instances, the suit contends, people on the Match payroll even went on sham dates with subscribers as a marketing ploy.

quote: In a separate suit, Yahoo Inc.'s (YHOO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) personals service is accused of posting profiles of fictitious potential dating partners on its Web site to make it look as though many more singles subscribe to the service than actually do.

enough said.

toymaker
12-12-2005, 03:31 AM
I personally use the Yahoo site and was really put off as the ladies listed under the age bracket i was looking at are just repeats of the same women. Many show the same ladie's pictures but at different ages and poses. I think that this is also a ruse to make it that there are more "available women" listed than there really are. Many have as many as 5 pictures of themselves in the listings, but different ages and profiles. I refuse to even consider approaching any of these ladies as i never know who or what i will meet.

ham
12-12-2005, 06:02 AM
my experience with y@hoo personals was limited.
however
suffice it to say out of an handful of women i contacted, the 3 who replied tried to pull some paysite scam on me; that is they were trying to have me join their paysite.
rubbish.
The point is, IF big inland(=forget the "poverty" of the FSU etc ) dating sites ( which should care for their "name" also ) owned by multimillion dollar corporations (= it's not dirty Oleg desperate to raise $ for supper time ) indulge in that kind of unethical practice...and no doubt they do indulge in such unethical practices...
then
no wonder what happens most of the time with run off the mill, amateurish MOB outfits, where the need to raise a back is there and the "name" doesn't even exist.

I joined M@tch-com very early after their startup (long before they sold out ) and the picture was no different...lots of fakes, and above all mind players, super obese people ( and i really mean huuuge people ), prostitutes seeking clients ( same as Y@hoo ) etc.
As a result, i let my membership expire & forgot about it.

I also joined 2-of-a-k!nd-com.
They promise laser targeted matched via their exhaustive questionnaire ( more than 100 items ).
Well, in one year membership i wrote back (for the sake of it) [u]all</u> the "targeted" matches they provided (because it's not your typical browse'n'shopping cart thing ).
It is a blind thing, since you saw no photos, no bios etc: the system would take care of matching your own extensive wishlist with someone else's.
I got only one (yes one) reply back and i suspect that was the usual canned thing remotely controlled by some admin or something, as "she" never rewrote back.

Sonar
12-12-2005, 09:30 AM
I have never encountered ANY internet dating/marriage site that was not on the shady side in some way. There is a site www. Mate1.com that seems to be a spin off of Match.com. About 6 months ago I browsed their personals. Alot of nice looking women, many from eastern Europe. I did a trial membership but didn't set up an account or a profile.
The funny thing is that I started receiving e-mails from women from all over the world. I posted no photos, and gave very little information about myself other than I am a single man from the USA.
Would a real woman write to a man that they know absolutely nothing about? Very, very unlikely. No doubt in my mind that the agency is playing games. Maybe they believe that I am dumb enough to think that I am the only guy in town.

A man's mind, streched by a new idea, will never re-gain it's original dimension.

lonelyboy
12-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Unfortunately this problem exists with MOST of the agencies....