View Full Version : Are all of these scammers really Russian?

12-15-2005, 10:00 PM
OK, after my encounter with the two Russian ladies on this forum this afternoon, I find it funny that these women seem to think that a hugh number of Russian women scammers are NOT Russian!!!
I wonder how they came to that conclusion??
Sure, it is possible that sometimes someone will pose as a Russian.
But the great majority of Russian scammers are indeed Russian. Maybe men maybe women.
I've been to many different countries and experienced many different cultures. I've been to Russia 17 times and Ukraine 3 times during the past 7 years. There are alot of scammers in Russia. More than any other place that I have been including Ukraine.
In Russia a foreigner is prime meat and can be scammed by almost anyone if they are not very carefull. The taxi driver, the cleaning lady, the ordinary guy on the street.
On the other hand, there are also some very good people in Russia. I know many of them personally.
But I do not buy it for one minute that most of the Russian women scams are not commited by Russians.

A man's mind, streched by a new idea, will never re-gain it's original dimension.

12-15-2005, 10:59 PM
There is no doubt that a good % of scammers are men. Where i have serious doubts is that the overwhelming majority of FSU-MOB scammers are not from the FSU...for the simple reason extracted $ is WU-ed or wired to, then cashed in the FSU.I suspect the nigerian male visiting student in Oklahoma will run into a few logistic problems to cash the 300$ poor Pedro wires him to Moscow thinking he's Olga the teenage beauty pageant.

12-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Alot scammers actively seek out new potential victims rather than wait for the victims to come to them. Most often scammers use Yahoo Personals or similar big online dating web sites to approach their potential victims. Often their profiles on Yahoo and Match.com indicate that they are from the USA (that is because those sites no longer accept subscribers from Russia). WARNING! if a lady from Russia contacts you first on a large dating site, it's a big red flag!

The above comes from the website of Miss Sherlock Holmes. It's pretty funny that she would come here, or anywhere for that matter, and try to attack someone for basically saying the same things that she says.
I would think that her services for background checks would be helpfull to someone who is suspicious of a womans true identity. But for scam investigations in Russia?? Give me a friggin' break.
If a guy has been scammed there is absolutely ZERO recourse. Anyone paying $800 and upward for a scam investigation in Russia is wasting more of his money and time. Don't fall for it.
I have seen on different sites, where often after a guy has reported being scammed, Miss Sherlock suddenly appears requesting that he contact her personally. Since there is really nothing that can be done AFTER the fact I wonder what are her true intentions?
If a guy has been scammed, the very best that he can do is FORGET ABOUT IT !!!! Learn from the mistake!!!! You don't need to spend another fortune on some bogus scam investigation BS!!!! Don't allow yourself to be scammed again. Very plain and simple advice.
She also feels the need to try to paint a picture that I don't know very much about Russia or Russian women and that my intelligence level is somehow not equal to hers. Nothing more than typical internet garbage.
As I have said many times, there are many good women in Russia and throughout the FSU. But you will most likely NOT find them on the internet.

A man's mind, streched by a new idea, will never re-gain it's original dimension.

12-16-2005, 05:15 PM
i am a fervent advocate of background checks...is "she" really a "she"?
Is she married?
Does she have a live-in boyfriend?
Background checks can give many answers to important questions you can't get with flower deliveries or www aliases.
I think money sent is money lost.
International lawsuits cost a lot...and
a) if it's a man or a scam gang, enough said.
b) if it's a woman, well she had "cold feet", "met someone else" or whatever.
c) FSU authorities have better things to do than run "affirmative actions" to avenge some sucker who wired money to a complete stranger 5000km away based exclusively upon a few rubbish filled emails.

12-16-2005, 07:44 PM
I have never understood why to send flowers to check the identity ?
A postcard or a letter with some special questions will make the same and is much cheaper. Though probably it takes some weeks to arrive there. But why to be so hasty ?

12-16-2005, 07:48 PM
some say it achieves two goals:
I) validating the address (many are found to be non-existent or even from unrelated people )
II) take a picture to (supposedly) validate her looks/identity.

To me it's better than nothing but comprehensive background checks (Eg passport validation, etc ) are better.