PDA

View Full Version : mean age at first marriage: myth debunked

ham
08-14-2006, 07:39 AM
So, ok.
You're an old(er) western man and you've been told countless times that in the FSU it is very usual for women to marry much older men.
15,20, even 30 years of age difference are said to be common.

I myself think that ANY age difference more than 10 years ought to be carefully scrutinized, the more as the gap increases.

Well, over the internet there are debates where Barney, Leroy, Pedro and Wong all tell their story.
On some forums, most men will swear that big age gaps are the norm.
I personally think there are 2 or 3 reasons why an old-er- man would want a woman young enough to be his daughter and 2 or 3 reasons as well why such woman would marry such a man.
So Barney argues endlessly with Pedro.

Where is the truth?
Below you find UN statistics.
Sorry, guys, but you're victim of used car salesmen, agency owners & middlemen and have been -once again- feeding you a line of hogwash, lies and overly simplified, self-serving analysis.

http://w3.unece.org/stat/pau.asp

then

http://w3.unece.org/stat/scriptsdb/variables.asp

MEAN AGE AT FIRST MARRIAGE; TOTAL, weighted average

Ukraine (1982-2000): 21, * years old FEMALE/ 24,* years old MALE

Tajikistan (1982-1995): 21,* years old FEMALE /24,* years old MALE

Italy (1982-2000): 26,* years old female/ 29,* years old male

Germany (1982-2001): 26,* YO female/ 29,* YO male

Kazachstan ( 1982-1999): 23,* YO female /25,* YO male

Russia (1982-2000): 21,* YO female/ 24,* YO male

Portugal (1982-2001): 25,* YO female /27,* YO male

Sweden (1982-2001): 29,* YO female / 31,* YO male

Now it looks like you've (on average) 2-4 years age gap, and it spans across "latin" countries such as Italy or Portugal, nordic countries such as Sweden, poor FSu countries such as Tajikistan, then Russia and Ukraine.

Still, a few seem to be convinced 20+yo age difference is common in FSU marriages.

Again, these are UN statistics, not what I, Pedro or Wong said.

voyager
08-17-2006, 06:10 AM
That is true. When Russians are marrying Russian citizens. We are not talking about that.

It would be interesting to see the statistic of foreigners marying Russian citizens. I would suspect the age difference to be much greaters as there are different mitigating factors.

They are all scammers until proven innocent.

ham
09-02-2006, 09:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by voyager

That is true. When Russians are marrying Russian citizens. We are not talking about that.

It would be interesting to see the statistic of foreigners marying Russian citizens. I would suspect the age difference to be much greaters as there are different mitigating factors.

They are all scammers until proven innocent.

when russians marry other russians, or when italians marry other italians or...for the matter.
Of course the MOB scene is packed with old(er), divorced, (lower) middle class men in their 50-60's seeking young hotties...altough most men will claim in your face to have a Wall Street journal kind of job, a Forbes magazine kind of profile and a Men's health kind of physique.
The whole MOB industry and its driving myths were concocted with them in mind, with reason.
In fact, while they expect women to be young, pretty, fair skinned/haired and traditional, such women mostly have "any age/any race" kind of expectations...when was last time your girls next door have been so bland in their tastes?