PDA

View Full Version : online dating internet scam?

unidentified
06-16-2007, 05:30 PM
My brother is a member of a certain internet dating website. He had had bad luck so far until this woman messaged him wanting him to email her. He did so and they seemed to hit it off really well, a little too well. I remember him saying she seemed too good to be true and i told him to give her a chance. According to her profile she resided in Ellenwood, Ga not far from my brother. She said that she was in Africa because her mum lived there and was in the hospital. After talking with her for almost a week he was pretty excited about meeting her when she came back to the states. during this time there were chatting on Yahoo messenger. In one of their chats she started going more in depth about what was wrong with her mum and the surgery she needed to save her life. She said "they need the rest of the money before they could proceed with the operation with her severe migraine, The total cost is $1750.00, I have $700 now and "WE" have to come up with the rest" She asked for to send her $1000. My brother said no, he didnt have it and he didn't know her. This was suspicious to me. I sent her an email warning her if she was trying to scam him not to bother contacting him again, which she still did anyways.After a lengthy conversation she said that a friend of her dads had the money but she didnt have access to her checking account down there and asked if her friend could deposit the money in my brothers account and then send it to her. My question was why couldnt her "friend" send it to her? She tried like hell to get him to give her his account number, he said heck NO, NO, NO!! Certain details she had told him changed along the way during the course of many conversations. I got on the chat and said well if you want his acct number then you wouldnt mind giving me some info so i can verify who you are. i asked her for her mums name, the hospital name and phone, her SSN, DOB. The hospital she gave me didnt exist in Nigeria andthe SSN she gave me had 11 digits instead of 9. If she was legit she never would have given out that information. He has since ceased contact with her and reported suspicious activity on her profile. From the beginning she had professed her undying love for him and then when we got suspicious she had backed off saying she felt they were taking it way too fast. We kept all the emails from her but nothing was sais about money in those. My brother didnt save the chat conversations, i wish he had because i would have put a report on here which you cant do without a message with the asking of money and such

unidentified
06-17-2007, 12:29 AM
she IMd me while i was online, she thought she was talking to my brother. i played it to where i could get her to say something about money, which she did. I am going to report this on here tmorrow now that i have chat converstions to back it up and forward all the other information i have. These people are unbelievable. I already reported her date profile to the website and will report it as well with the email address.

unidentified
06-17-2007, 12:29 AM
she IMd me while i was online, she thought she was talking to my brother. i played it to where i could get her to say something about money, which she did. I am going to report this on here tmorrow now that i have chat converstions to back it up and forward all the other information i have. These people are unbelievable. I already reported her date profile to the website and will report it as well with the email address.

dadepfan
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
The word "Nigeria" in ANY communication should be an instant red flag.

David A Desautel

dadepfan
06-21-2007, 04:53 PM
The word "Nigeria" in ANY communication should be an instant red flag.

David A Desautel

unidentified
06-22-2007, 02:13 AM
I hear that! I have noticed a lot of scams are originating from Nigeria. My brother has stopped all contact with her and yet she (or he) is still trying to contaact him thru my Yahoo messenger. This one just doesnt give up, oh shes begging for another chance that she cant make it thru her moms illness without him. Y eah whatever. I messaged her back and asked how long would it take for her to lose interest because he was NOT going to send her money now or ever. I told her if she was true to her word then she should be able to furnish some proof (of course it would be fake) of her mom in the hospital requiring surgery. She had no comment on that note.

unidentified
06-22-2007, 02:13 AM
I hear that! I have noticed a lot of scams are originating from Nigeria. My brother has stopped all contact with her and yet she (or he) is still trying to contaact him thru my Yahoo messenger. This one just doesnt give up, oh shes begging for another chance that she cant make it thru her moms illness without him. Y eah whatever. I messaged her back and asked how long would it take for her to lose interest because he was NOT going to send her money now or ever. I told her if she was true to her word then she should be able to furnish some proof (of course it would be fake) of her mom in the hospital requiring surgery. She had no comment on that note.