Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thumbs up deter the scammer

I have been scammed in the past. I thought what can I do to avoid this in the future. I came up with an idea I'm testing out now. I write a paper letter with an address I was provided with from the scammer. I take a digital photo of it and the envelope before I send it. I sent it express mail international thru the USPS. It may have cost me $45 but, it is trackable this way. You can get email updates on it's progress. They even have a link that will track it when it arrives in the destination country. In my case , Russia. They will even tell me when it has been delivered. Upon confirmed delivery , I will request a photo of the actual letter & envelope. A " got your letter" will not be accepted. I don't know if this a sure fire way to deter scammers. For the money involved , I thought it a good place to start. I will not wire any more funds until I have the letter delivery confirmed. I am still in contact with this woman via email. If it does work & has favorable results , I will update this post. I hope it can help a potential victim in some way

Default Re: deter the scammer

Though this method will cost few bucks but i think it might just work out. Please keep posted of your update.

Smile Re: deter the scammer

This seems an unnecessary expense. Yes I grant you it could provide you with proof of the lie. However that extreme isn't necessary. You only need a pic from them and some personal questions. ie what high school did you attend. Something inoffensive, school records are easily checked. Pictures are also easy to check. Most search engines provide image scans, run an image search which should give you a pretty clear idea as to who their photo is of. If it's not them then you know your being scammed and can stop communicating or have some fun with them. This is my preferred option. I love stringing them along making them dedicate time and effort to me when they have no idea I'm never going to give them money. I'll just keep making false promises and then excuses as to why it didn't work. It's like scamming the scammer. It won't bring back what I lost but it is a lot of fun. I can spot scammers on most websites very quickly. There are thousands. I've spent an enormous amount of time building a comprehensive database of my own. Different sites the amount of scammers I've found, and where possible left public messages so others know to stay away from these frauds. You need to know they don't care who you are or what your situation. They just want your money and will go as far as they need to to get it. Good luck with your search and by all means if anyone has a question I'm always happy to answer or help anyway I can.