Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Am I being scammed?

Ok,

I was contacted by a girl named Mariya Koroleva from the worldfriends.tv website. My first response was just to delete the email because it was from a list.ru domain, I work for and ISP and i've seen lots of domains like this involved in spam. Well, she seems nice enough, although the speed in which she is making romantic suggestion is overwhelming... we've exchanged a total of 6 emails and she's already telling me "I think of you every day, all nights, every moment!!! I can't live without your letter, I need your letters every day! Maybe it's too early to talk about it but I am already talking!" I can see how lonely guys get caught up in this, I would love to believe a beautiful women thinks about me like this.

So's I did some checking.

Her profile is suspended on worldfriends, I emailed them and they said it was due to the user using a fraudulent credit card for membership.

I did a traceroute on her IP in the e-mail, she claims she's from Kraslava, and uses an internet cafe, but the trace shows up going to a dialup IP in russia, belonging to a JS? Martelcom.

She also sent me her address, which I can only assume is fake: st. Tirgus, 35 - 12, LV-5600,Kraslava, Latvia I am not sure how to go about checking it in the first place though.

Any suggestions? I though i'd post here before responding, I'm also posting this on antiscam.net.

She hasn't asked for money yet... but i'm sure it's comming. Should I keep responding, or should I ask her point blank?

I think it a pretty easy answer. She uses stolen credit cards, and her address is fake. Who wouldn't want to meet a woman like that? As the old saying goes, If it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck...

Yeah, I read some of the letters on this site last night, all of the ones for Julia Solodovich matched mine, except for slight variations of course. I had a funny feeling from the start that something wasn't quite right, but I was ready to give the benefit of the doubt. Something I won't do again.

Thanks for this great site, it was truly a help!!

I believe there are a number of girls involved with these type of form letters that are being used like the ones addressed to you, Halapluto. What is strange is, I think I got one of the girls to stop doing it. I am young, and one of the girls who is supposedly about my age started sending me the same bogus form letters, then all of a sudden she started writing me real letters, which were riddled with mistakes. But in these letters she still claims she loves me. Well, I found the form of letters she uses on this site, and confronted her after about 20 letters. I did so with compassion, and I said I understand that life is hard where she lives, and if I were in her shoes, I might be tempted to do the same, but it is wrong and it hurts people. I said, after all, there are real people at the end of the computer where you are writing and this hurts these people. I offer to send her money to help her if she stops doing it, and she refused the money. She said she did intend to take my money, but is ashamed and has actually fallen in love with me. Then she calls crying. What do you all think??? Should I show her mercy and try to trust her and understand her?? They all can't be bad people. Maybe someone needs to get some of these women who have a conscience to realize what they are doing. If you were poor, and everyday of your life was a struggle like hers, would you not be tempted to do the same thing, especially on the internet where there are no faces involved. I think I should show her mercy. She says she has stopped doing these scams. What do you think??

I have been over to the Ukraine last April. You are right. life is hard for people over there. It is tempting to try to make quick money. They probably think we will not miss a few dollars here and there, and they could realy use the money. I have met a really nice woman over there who has a 7 year old girl. Life is hard being a single parent (many divorced men don't give child support) and I can understand their plight. Nw that I know her, and met her, I doo feel comfortable sending her money on occasion. In fact I plan to visit again in November. I know you are in a dilemma on wanting to help her, but you also must remember, they have much pride there, and it is difficult for them to ask for help (at least the honest ones). Perhaps you should go visit her. See how she responds to that. If she is truly genuine, she will be impressed that you are putting much effort in trying to know her. I would not send money to her now. Meet her first. She will survive without your money. Remember, rent is cheap, food is cheap, so they do survive. They just can't afford all the luxuries that we have.

WXMAN 2003, I appreciate your advice. What happened, is, I already offered to send her money, but she will not take it. My dilemma was whether she is an honest person or not, and I believe she is, despite taking part in these scams. I just think that the majority of these girls are not as bad as they are made out to be, it is just too tempting get "easy money" when your life is hard. I have been to Kiev and Moscow, and I was there in early 1992, when nobody there had money to even buy a loaf of bread. So, I have a special place in my heart for these people. For the majority of people in the former Soviet Union, when a person wakes up in the morning, she wonders what kind of bad problems the day will bring. Every day is hard. She is surviving just fine, but her family has little money. She called me crying not because she was in need of money, but because she was humiliated and ashamed at what she was doing. Very ashamed. She respects me and puts trust in me because I show her love and compassion. Something we should all do for these people, instead of crucifying them on the internet. Their life is very unjust. It is so easy to make a positive situation out of a negative one.

Zedraf,

I agree that we are often quick to criticize all FSU women when they ask for money. Obviously there are plenty of scammers out there. But some people truly do need help. She sounds like a wonderful person, and after reading what you wrote, I would have been inclined to offer money too. Life is not easy for many people in the FSU. I was amazed at the standard of living (or lack of it) in Lugansk. The woman I met had an apartment that to say the least, would be condemned in my country. She struggles every day trying to raise her daughter, and actually moved back in with her mother, because of the crime in the complex she was staying. Many people standing around doing nothing at these complexes, and I always felt the staring eyes. The day to day struggles of living is quite evident. There are a few (police) that live a good life. The rest, it's day to day.

WXMAN2003,

My girl has told me that she went to an international dating agency, and they forced her to write the scam letters. She says it is done all over Russia. She says as far as she knows, nearly all of the scams are done in Russia and Ukraine, and the poor girls are FORCED to scam people or else get thrown out of the agency. The money is sent to the agency and they get all of it and give none to the girl. She apologizes to all the men the agency has scammed. This agency does the type of letters included in names Ekaterina Belyh, Julia Solodovich, etc. The letters claim to be from Latvia, Estonia, but are run in Russia. So, please, don't blame the girls. They are honest...believe me, this girl is gleeming with honesty. I am going to get her out of there (after I visit her and get her a K-1, that is.)

It is sad that agencies use women like that to make money. I was lucky enough to find someone who doesn't use an agency. She told me the same thing. She did go to an agency at first. She thought they were ripping off men, as she never got a letter from anyone. She knows that the agency was writing using her pictures that they took of her. She has a regular email account, and she goes to the local internet cafe to retrieve it. She has a friend that helps to translate to Russian. I have met the translator and she is a friend that speaks fluent english and french and teaches at university. I think she speaks better english that me! But she does charge a fee to translate. I understand that, and let's face it, people do not make a good living there. So anytime they can make a few extra dollars (legit) they do. I have no problem with that, because I do not speak Russian, and she does not speak english. The translator is kindly teaching her english for no charge because she is a friend. So sometimes sending money for translation is legit and not a scam.

wxman2003, Try this free translator:

http://translation1.paralink.com/

English to Russian, Russian to English, copy and paste onto your letters!!! FREE!!!! I don't need it, because my girl speaks extremely good english and I speak some Russian, but I use it to make it easy on her sometimes.

Are you a weatherman??? I am!!