Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Zedralf,

Thanks for the link. I will have to give it a try. Yes, I'm a weatherman too! Weather geeks unite. LOL

I ALSO RECIVED THE SAME FIRST SIX LETTERS FROM"MARIYA KOROLEVA"OF LATVIA. AND I WAS ALMOST TAKEN IN BY HER AS WELL. SHE FELL FOR ME TO FAST FOR COMFORT. I SAW YOUR LISTING AND I SENT HER E-MAIL CONFONTING HER ON THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER. I GOT A REPLY STATING THAT "SHE DID NOT DECIVE ME AND THAT HER HEART WAS BROKEN". SHE WAS ASKING FOR MONEY TO COME TO AMERICA AND WE EXCHANGED SEVERAL E-MAILS BEGING IN AUGUST. I NEVER SENT ANY MONEY TO HER. SHE GAVE ME A BANK ACCOUNT IN NEW YORK FOR A TRANSFER TO LATVIA. I ALSO RECIVED SIX PHOTOS OF "HER".? I LOST THE BANK ACCOUNT INFO DUE TO MY COMPUTER CRASHING LAST WEEK. I FEEL USED AND LIKE A FOOL. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE INFORMATION ON "HER". I HOPE NO-ONE ELSE FALLS FOR THIS SCAM.

In response to Hulapluto's query, I entirely agree with Wyxman's September 6 take on the facts and, moreover, I'd like to add that theft of credit card numbers is rampant in Ukraine and one of the businesses of the Ukrainian mafia. I used one of my cards in a few restaurants in Kiev and the number was stolen and illegal charges put on my card in Spain. A very well-traveled friend of mine Roy told me that the Ukrainian mafia can even get your number if you retrieve cash through an ATM! I am not sure about the situation in Russia but the situation in Belarus is better if only because it is a police state and the state under Lukachenko works like a mafia. Anyway, that this lady is into credit card fraud makes her potentially a really dangerous liaison best to be avoided.

My other comment concerns other views expressed by Zedraf and, to a lesser extent, Wxman. Excuse me for the sarcasm but I think you two ought to establish a bleeding heart's website for scammers. That "life is hard" in Ukraine and Russia can never be a justification for the perpetration of fraud and, in rationalizing scamming in economic terms, you come across as apologists for scammers. A hard life isn't a defense: It isn't analogous to stealing a loaf of bread to prevent starvation. In fact, life isn't so hard as you maintain for Russians and Ukrainians -- do you think it is Sub-Saharan Africa with starvation and AIDs epidemics? -- that's where life is really hard. The poorest ladies I have visited in Eastern Europe are in Dneprodzerzhinsk, Ukraine, and Vitebsk, Belarus, where people are getting by on modest means. Often, families live together in somewhat crowded circumstances but there isn't desperation. You really sound like, at times, that you read from a cue card for scammers.

You further rationalize that "they can't all be bad" (again an apology and why not? Is it epistemologically unsound for a given category to exhibit a common trait?) and you naively think that you can reform scammers, yet, if they had any conscience at all, they would never have begun their criminal enterprise. The fact that they engage in criminal activities is clear and convincing evidence that they are "bad." Even if you could in a rare instance reform one, why would you apply your energies (almost certainly in vain) to such a dubious undertaking, let alone invest financial and emotional capital in (at best) a possibly reformable scammer, when there are plenty of honest women to date? If you guys are philanthropists and have money to burn, why don't you direct your donations to charitable organizations that really need your hard-earned cash and will do some good with it (instead of directing it to women who'll take your money and mock you as fools behind your backs according to the old adage "a fool and his money are easily parted" -- especially easily parted, one might add, by a sexy lady)? Zedraft: you really think that your "reformed" scammer loves you after a few emails or is your ego on parade? (If she does, isn't it a superficial and meaningless kind of love?) Is it an unwritten rule that scammers can't switch letter writing tactics going from form letters to letters in broken English? Can't cry on the phone, etc.?

You say that women are coerced into scamming by the threat of an agency to ban them from their website -- Is this like being banished from Valhalla or Eden? Of course, an honest woman could be duped by an unscrupulous agency and subject to identity theft but, if she has grounds to be suspicious, she is obliged to withdraw her profile.

Sorry about ripping into you guys but I'm well intentioned. My point is focus your energy on honest women. At least, Wyxman, despite his apologetics, seems to have met an honest woman although to what extent his lady is motivated by feelings for him as opposed to escaping the resposibilities of single parenthood in lovely Lugansk merits observation over time to determine. Meeting honest women in their home country, notice I am using the plural here, is eminently feasible and well worth the effort in my experience: just beware of how you are making the initial contact through the internet.

Richard

[

Well well looks like im added to this scam of a website. They don't even have a bloody phone number. I hope this website is shut down eventually

AmericanRichardC, you are right that having a hard life does not justify scammimg people. I agree with you 100%. That is why I have been more cautious with this woman that I met in Lugansk. Without a doubt there are women over there, and here, and everywhere in this world that will latch on to a guy that can provide a better standard of living (money). In America they chase millionaires, in poor countries, middle class Americans look rich. So getting scammed happens right under our nose. Most Men likes to have a young attractive woman at their side. That is a male flaw, and women know that. We don't always think with our brain. But with that all said, there are genuine people everywhere. I hope I have found a wonderful woman. Could she be playing me, to get out of her living situation? That is possible. That is why I am going real slow. It's been almost 18 months since we first started writing, and it will probably be that long before she will even have a chance to come here. Hopefully after meeting her several more times, I will be able to tell.

quote:Originally posted by AmericanRichardC

In response to Hulapluto's query, I entirely agree with Wyxman's September 6 take on the facts and, moreover, I'd like to add that theft of credit card numbers is rampant in Ukraine and one of the businesses of the Ukrainian mafia. I used one of my cards in a few restaurants in Kiev and the number was stolen and illegal charges put on my card in Spain. A very well-traveled friend of mine Roy told me that the Ukrainian mafia can even get your number if you retrieve cash through an ATM! I am not sure about the situation in Russia but the situation in Belarus is better if only because it is a police state and the state under Lukachenko works like a mafia. Anyway, that this lady is into credit card fraud makes her potentially a really dangerous liaison best to be avoided.

My other comment concerns other views expressed by Zedraf and, to a lesser extent, Wxman. Excuse me for the sarcasm but I think you two ought to establish a bleeding heart's website for scammers. That "life is hard" in Ukraine and Russia can never be a justification for the perpetration of fraud and, in rationalizing scamming in economic terms, you come across as apologists for scammers. A hard life isn't a defense: It isn't analogous to stealing a loaf of bread to prevent starvation. In fact, life isn't so hard as you maintain for Russians and Ukrainians -- do you think it is Sub-Saharan Africa with starvation and AIDs epidemics? -- that's where life is really hard. The poorest ladies I have visited in Eastern Europe are in Dneprodzerzhinsk, Ukraine, and Vitebsk, Belarus, where people are getting by on modest means. Often, families live together in somewhat crowded circumstances but there isn't desperation. You really sound like, at times, that you read from a cue card for scammers.

You further rationalize that "they can't all be bad" (again an apology and why not? Is it epistemologically unsound for a given category to exhibit a common trait?) and you naively think that you can reform scammers, yet, if they had any conscience at all, they would never have begun their criminal enterprise. The fact that they engage in criminal activities is clear and convincing evidence that they are "bad." Even if you could in a rare instance reform one, why would you apply your energies (almost certainly in vain) to such a dubious undertaking, let alone invest financial and emotional capital in (at best) a possibly reformable scammer, when there are plenty of honest women to date? If you guys are philanthropists and have money to burn, why don't you direct your donations to charitable organizations that really need your hard-earned cash and will do some good with it (instead of directing it to women who'll take your money and mock you as fools behind your backs according to the old adage "a fool and his money are easily parted" -- especially easily parted, one might add, by a sexy lady)? Zedraft: you really think that your "reformed" scammer loves you after a few emails or is your ego on parade? (If she does, isn't it a superficial and meaningless kind of love?) Is it an unwritten rule that scammers can't switch letter writing tactics going from form letters to letters in broken English? Can't cry on the phone, etc.?

You say that women are coerced into scamming by the threat of an agency to ban them from their website -- Is this like being banished from Valhalla or Eden? Of course, an honest woman could be duped by an unscrupulous agency and subject to identity theft but, if she has grounds to be suspicious, she is obliged to withdraw her profile.

Sorry about ripping into you guys but I'm well intentioned. My point is focus your energy on honest women. At least, Wyxman, despite his apologetics, seems to have met an honest woman although to what extent his lady is motivated by feelings for him as opposed to escaping the resposibilities of single parenthood in lovely Lugansk merits observation over time to determine. Meeting honest women in their home country, notice I am using the plural here, is eminently feasible and well worth the effort in my experience: just beware of how you are making the initial contact through the internet.

Richard

[

In reply to Richard's comments, yes, I agree we should focus on honest women and not dishonest women. However, I believe in my case, this is an honest woman who was trapped in a dishonest agency. Many women who are on this site just want to be married. If there are many dishonest or all dishonest agencies located near their dwelling, the choice is either to deal with these agencies or remain single for the rest of their lives. I might add that some of these agencies are controlled by the Russian mafia. In her city, which I will not name, there are close to zero honest agencies, the city is overrun by the Mafia, and women outnumber men 8 to 1.

I believe that she is honest, and just got caught up in a bad agency, that I might add, IS in fact run by the mafia. I believe this for the following reasons:

1) She admitted immediately that she had done wrong and repented. There is no need for a scammer to do this....just go on to the next victim. You can just deny it as well and just keep asking the same person for money. I asked her if she was doing this for money or love and she said she was hoping to find love, slip out of the clutches of the mafia, and get married. But, she had to do what they told her to do or else not get married at all. Plus, all the money goes to the mafia and not her, because they control the bank and the Western Union inside the bank.

2) Of course, 1) is not nearly enough. Also, she constantly begged me for 3 weeks not to discontinue correspondence with her. Why bother doing that if you are a scammer??? There are plenty of suckers out there.

3) Third, and most importantly, she won't take a dime from me. Not under any circumstances. I sent just a little money before to see if she would take it and she sent it back saying it was not hers, she did not deserve it, and would rather starve that take money from me.

Also, we have exchanged about 50 emails, not just a couple. I'm not saying to take pity on dishonest girls, I'm just saying there are some honest girls out there that get caught up with a bad agency and get taken advantage of, particularly when the girl is in her mid-20s and the agency is mafia run and this group controls half of the city. These people are mean and ruthless, and they control the girls very strictly. I know a Russian lawyer in Moscow who tells me this is so. It is the agencies and not the people who are the main problem.

I explain myself not by ego, but by fact. Just ask some of the people in Russia. The majority of the girls just want to be married, and don't want to rob anyone of their money at all.

I have visited her now, and have not been robbed of a dime, plus she is who she says she is, and is very honest. So, I suppose I have benefitted by realizing that honest people are sometimes taken into a dishonest situation and should be given a second chance if they prove their good intentions to you. If you had complete understanding of the situation, you would agree.

Here is text from the Russian lawyer----most are not being scammed by women but by the Mafia. And yes, some are honest women who are being forced to scam. They are not only forced out of the agency if they do not scam, but are also THREATENED. I forgot to mention that in my emails last month. As I have recently been in this city where she lives, it is very bad there. I believe her because I see how bad it was.

Q: Is it only Russians that are using the Internet to scam men from foreign countries or are there these Internet scams originating from other countries? If so, why is Russia being singled out?

A: Of course scammers can operate from any country, and they do!
    But the point is that most Russian women are really beautiful and western men are greatly interested in them. When we talk about men being scammed by Russians, it is not the women who are the scammers but criminal organizations fronting as dating/marriage services. That is why you have be cautious and do your homework when using a service. You can find similar scams in other countries but what makes it worse in Russia is the lack of computer expertise within the police departments which makes it difficult to fight cyberspace crimes.

LOL whoops i guess lack of sleep doesn't let me type correctly. Let me correct myself by saying this. I WAS SCMAED BY WORLDFRIENDS.TV

My account magically got 24.95 on my account without me knowing what worldfriends.tv was. I had an email thinking it was a phishing email. But it wasn't. Someone had actually used my CC#'s and charged my account. I contacted my bank and they are taking care of it. I have also emailed worlfriends.tv and their cash handling company and told them both what a scam worldfriends.tv is and should be shut down.

sorry for the confusion [8)]

Zedraf maintains that the girl has "the choice ... either to deal with these [scam] agencies or remain single for the rest of their lives." There is an illogic to that reasoning and it is counterfactual in at least one respect.

The illogic is that if the girl deals with such scam agencies, she'll have no chance to get married to a foreigner just as sure as if she refrains from getting listed with them in the first place. If this certainty is known by foreigners like us,it is known by the Russians even more and, therefore, if a girl signs up she must have an ulterior motive i.e. to scam. In this situation, the honest girl, faced with the stark reality that whichever route she chooses she will remain single, will choose not to list herself with any agency -- that is, if the choice dichotomy is correct.

The counterfactual element is that there are not just two choices. There are agencies not operating inside the borders of the ex-USSR that would only be too willing to post the girl's photos and advertisement on the company's website and provide them their own webpage without any element of scamming or coercion on the part of the agency either toward the client or the girl.

I don't really understand why Zedraf chooses to go to bastions of the Russian mafia to seek out girls who have an apparently deserved reputation for being corrupted (his girl possibly being excepted) rather than a venue where the odds are against meeting scammers. (No need to speculate in this forum on the motives of a single individual.) At least for the fledgling among us, Zedraf obviously not being one of that company, I would recommend initally skipping over girls from cities where the ratio of scammers to all advertised girls is high e.g. Lugansk. At least know the score before you jump from the proverbial frying pan into the fire...

Getting back to my criticism of Zedraf's statement about a girl's choice being limited putatively to only two options, I mentioned that it is counterfactual in at least one respect -- which begs the question in what other respects is it counterfactual. Isn't it obvious that most Russian girls will simply marry Russian men? They will not stay unmarried. Most Russian girls do not intend to marry foreign men and emigrate. There are a lot of rich Russian men in Moscow that a pretty Russian woman could marry and prosper with without the cultural displacement that attends emigration. Of course, material standards vis-a-vis other Russian cities can be much much better in the West (the extent to which depends on the job, social standing and wealth of the man of course) but, for many Russian, as well as other Slavic girls, leaving a country, which they often love and parting with family members to whom they have a very strong attachment, is not an easy choice either. For some other girls, posting an advertisement on the web is like playing the lottery: no one plays the lottery expecting to win the big jackpot.

I think agencies (even some legitimate ones) have committed another disservice beyond scamming: they create false illusions that Russian girls cannot find happiness in their own country and that all a Western man need do to find a new (Slavic) wife, even one 15-25 years his junior, is to send a few emails and make a quick trip over to the girl's country as if the Slavic motherland is some kind of cornucopia of girls with traditional (rather than monetary) values and as if, when you arrive there, you'll be tripping over such girls. In reality, the operating environment is not so easy for an average middle-aged Western man to negotiate and monetary aspects generally take precedence over tradition.