Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possible scam from Nigeria?

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone out there might offer some helpful advice with respect to possible dating scams from Nigeria. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I approached a woman on the findsomeone.ca dating website, and we have emailed each other back and forth over the last two weeks or so, but recently have also spoken to each other via phone. Here is her story: Her mother recently passed away in Nigeria, and now she is left there without any friends or assistance, and is in need of money and help for her to pay the rent. Apparently, her landlord won't allow her to stay in the house they've been at while her mother was alive, unless she sleeps with him, and she does not want to do that. She wants to leave the country, but has no one apparently to help her do this. Yet she has entrusted herself to me and me only, and claims she loves me, but needs my help soon, before she is completely booted off the premises.

I have been in touch with her by phone; she gave me her cell phone number, and it appears that what she is saying is true and sincere. I keep hearing people walking outside, sometimes even animals of sorts, depending on the time of day I call (i.e. morning over there)
    Of course, it could all be a pre-recording to give that illusion, but the strange things are as follows: She still makes contact with me via internet/email, she says she has tried calling me but cannot afford to do so, and she cannot seem to follow through on my simple request: for her to have a recent photo taken of herself with her holding a picture of me in front of her. She says that costs some $500 to do and send to me. I told her that is absurd, and I need at least that from her before I even attempt to help! What is puzzling is how she can still have a cell phone, and still seem to survive, despite her alleged circumstances. From what I know, the area where she apparently lives can be a posh area in Lagos, so I have to wonder exactly where she is in that sort of area. I have her address, but everything is still up in the air. I am trying to establish some certainty, at least to know that it is truly her I am speaking to.

Her skin tone is mulatto, and she looks very young, thin, beautiful, in her photos, but her voice does not seem to match what I expected her to sound like. She definitely has the Nigerian accent, and is somewhat deeper than I expected, but she insists it is her in the photos she sent me! Her photos are not recent (year 2003), and I have asked ner time and time again to send me recent ones, in the manner i have requested, to at least prove that it is her. It may still not be proof enough, but it is at least a try.

I have held back on sending anything, and I am hodling back as much as possible, but I am getting very close to perhaps send her something, at least in good faith, just to see if she will take the bait and see how far she will take this, if indeed, she is a scammer.

Hoping someone out there can provide some insight to this drama..

I have had three scammers aproach me from Nigeria. In every case landlords were forcing(?) them for sex to stay in home. Think on these lines, why would a person go to Nigeria without a return ticket. If a picture costs $500. That should tell you that you have a scammer on your hands. Remember the first rule of online chatting. Do not send money overseas, unless you have met the person face to face and then don't send money overseas. Imoney is sent you are only encouraging them to continue in their chosen profession

Randolph J Peters

I have been talking to A girl from Nigers for about 4 months and I have yet to get anything by her hand yet but I get planty os email and IM . At first they were nice but now she wants more and more I have sent her about $1000.0 to help her get back to the USA but every time I send her it there is always A problem. and she needs something else. She says her ticket is paid for but her visa has ran out and she wanted about 2500. to get one. but when I told her that the nigeris embeesy only charges her story changed. Then someone scamed $400.00 I sent Western Union so that money is gone. Then I told her that the American Embessy would help her .Because someone on this site told me that they help Americans. But she would have nothing to do with it. So I think something is up. Now she wants to send me A check to deposit in my accont and send her the money. Well no money is leaving my account until I find out the check is real and not stolen or fake. Because I am not going to jail hor her. . And now when we IM each other its alway about money and not us. In one email she said when she get here she wants A Baby with me to show her love. Well where is her love now I am hre and she is there with some of my money and I think she is never coming this way. if she was she would have been here by now And she uses different names because she says the scamers have gotten her password and are useing it so she keeps changing .Here are some of the names Presious Olumese, Stella Thomas, Sarah Goodson ,Penny Lopez. And I tried to do A web search useing Public Record and I find nothing on her .Even in Fla. where she said she was born and grow up there. I still talk to her just to talk but she will never get another dime from me
    So if you scamer is like mine run away don't walk cause once the got you hooked watch out[8]

Thanks, Randy and Topcat. You guys have given me some more assurance to steer away from this person. But I am still playing her out. Won't send her a dime, that's for sure. But like you said, Topcat, it is getting harder to get away, because I have been speaking to her over the phone, and I guess you could say I am getting sort of hooked.

Anyway, guys, I found out just by luck, another version of this woman's photo on the stop-scammer's list, after I had posted my case here! Just by luck - go figure! Looks like some other guy was scammed for some money, but she used another name, and another address in Nigeria, as well as another email. Still, i feel there's more to this....don;t know why, but I do. Maybe I should just detach and "run" away, while I can. But I do want to know exactly who I am speaking to, if it is indeed the person in the photo (both on the stop-scammers site and the ones she has sent me)...I think she knows I am a tough one to crack, but I am getting lured in, still! Guess I can only blame myself if I allow this to go further!!

Hi,hardtocrack,

Try asking the 'girl' if she knows any travel agencies that could arrange her documents and travel. If she replies with 'John Adeola Travel Agencies',she is definitely 100% scammer;most of the Nigerian scammers give this non-existant 'Company'.

Cheers. leo9 (leo9fs@hotmail.co.uk)

Guys please, do not be so dumb sending money just because someone is asking you so. It's your money and I don't really care but, this is just a friendly advice. What feelings? How could you develop feelings for person you've never met??? I don't understand!!!

Peter,

I would never send a dime to anyone over the net! Even supposing I received absolute proof that she was real, I wouldn't. I was just entertaining an idea. And besides, she has stopped emailing me, but I have got hold of her still via phone, but that is beginning to get pointless. I may call her much, much later, just to see where things are at with her. If it's her. I can't afford to be racking up phone bills over something that ain't gonna materialize.

I am hoping my Nigerian friend here in Canada will be able to have some info for me from a connection he has down there. I am expecting that connection to confirm my suspicions, and now it is just a waiting game.

I thank you yet again for your help. I really appreciate it, and I hope you can continue to offer your invaluable insights to me where I need them. Thanks again, Peter.

quote:Originally posted by toughtocrack

Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone out there might offer some helpful advice with respect to possible dating scams from Nigeria. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I approached a woman on the findsomeone.ca dating website, and we have emailed each other back and forth over the last two weeks or so, but recently have also spoken to each other via phone. Here is her story: Her mother recently passed away in Nigeria, and now she is left there without any friends or assistance, and is in need of money and help for her to pay the rent. Apparently, her landlord won't allow her to stay in the house they've been at while her mother was alive, unless she sleeps with him, and she does not want to do that. She wants to leave the country, but has no one apparently to help her do this. Yet she has entrusted herself to me and me only, and claims she loves me, but needs my help soon, before she is completely booted off the premises.

I have been in touch with her by phone; she gave me her cell phone number, and it appears that what she is saying is true and sincere. I keep hearing people walking outside, sometimes even animals of sorts, depending on the time of day I call (i.e. morning over there)
    Of course, it could all be a pre-recording to give that illusion, but the strange things are as follows: She still makes contact with me via internet/email, she says she has tried calling me but cannot afford to do so, and she cannot seem to follow through on my simple request: for her to have a recent photo taken of herself with her holding a picture of me in front of her. She says that costs some $500 to do and send to me. I told her that is absurd, and I need at least that from her before I even attempt to help! What is puzzling is how she can still have a cell phone, and still seem to survive, despite her alleged circumstances. From what I know, the area where she apparently lives can be a posh area in Lagos, so I have to wonder exactly where she is in that sort of area. I have her address, but everything is still up in the air. I am trying to establish some certainty, at least to know that it is truly her I am speaking to.

Her skin tone is mulatto, and she looks very young, thin, beautiful, in her photos, but her voice does not seem to match what I expected her to sound like. She definitely has the Nigerian accent, and is somewhat deeper than I expected, but she insists it is her in the photos she sent me! Her photos are not recent (year 2003), and I have asked ner time and time again to send me recent ones, in the manner i have requested, to at least prove that it is her. It may still not be proof enough, but it is at least a try.

I have held back on sending anything, and I am hodling back as much as possible, but I am getting very close to perhaps send her something, at least in good faith, just to see if she will take the bait and see how far she will take this, if indeed, she is a scammer.

Hoping someone out there can provide some insight to this drama..

I have replyed to A Female in Nigeria and she say she love but she said she was going to be here months ago and I have sent her money @ $1000. to help the come back to theUsa. Hasn't happen yet .There is always A hang up. Firse Airline ticket, Then Visa ran out t.Then she went into the Hosp. Now she wants me to send fer $150. so the she cand sebd me A check for $3400 to cash for her.so the she came be with me for ever. I told her send it by regular Post .But no she want to use A srevice Woun't you think someup and now she keep pushing me to send the momey so she can use the service $160 is just to uch for A service what do you think

Top,

Don't send any more money! These things are simply ridiculous! Nigerian scammers are just as bad as the Russians! I work with a Nigerian guy, and he knows people who do this sort of thing. Don;t get me wrong; my coworker is a good friend, and I talk to him all the time about my situations, and we analyze them to death, but in the end, the result is the same: it is nothing but scam. My best advice to you my friend: cut your losses, and move on. I am faced with similar dilemma today, with a Russian girl. Read my posts on Russian scam. I have yet to be asked for money, and in fact the girl says she will be coming to visit me in Canada tomorrow! I know it is a crock of you know what, but I am playing along, to see where it goes. But the minute any mention of money is made or requested from me, that's where I draw the line!

Let me know if you need more help on your situations.