Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New website?

Well.....cooldadman is doing a pretty good job.

With amusement I read the info about Fort Ross. While we won't settle this debate by screaming at each other on a forum, and I have no time for a pointless debate, there are a couple of places to find serious info: The Center for Columbia River History in Vancouver, Washington and the Oregon History Project at the University of Oregon in Corvallis, OR might be eye-opening for some.

I had wished to point out that prior to the Russian revolution in 1917, the USA and Russia were on good terms. And that included ironing out wrinkles with countries like Russia (and Spain and Great Britian) over who controlled the Pacific Northwest in our quest for Manifest Destiny "from sea to shining sea."

Even more importantly, I think it's high time for the US and Russia to again be allies. And that isn't happening, and not all of that is Russia's fault. Ordinary guys, like you and me, can have an influence in public policy in both countries. Don't you feel it's worth the effort?

Bach, I would have thought you intelligent enough to understand that in today's world the one thing an international journalist values over just about anything else is privacy. You won't find Tom Brokaw (and I am certainly not claiming to be Tom) revealing his identity either. And while I'm not targeted for assissination (well maybe my Russian MIL but that's another story), my family's safety (and there are nuts out there who make threats to any kind of published journalist) is more important to my wife and children than for me to fling it about the world wide web.

So here is a deal for you: Next time you travel to Moscow let me know. We can meet somewhere public and if I'm convinced you are not a deranged Russian hating idiot, I'll give you a tour. It will include one, or maybe even two popular Russian magazines and a national Russian network. Russian media is pretty closed to the public and via the security processes we will go thru, you'll understand whether or not I'm lying about access to media. You'll need to get me a passport copy and a background check will be done in advance. That part is not for my benefit--it will be a requirement of the people who will grant us such access. Fair enough?

There is a reason why all of us, yourself included, use handles on a public forum. A more substantial way to find out whether or not I'm an imposter or know more than a little something about life and culture in the FSU would be to reasonable discuss life there. I've not called into question your time in Russia or Ukraine so certainly there could be some things we could discuss. Such might be fruitful to new guys who have not yet traveled or are afraid of traveling there.

And it would certainly be more productive than called each other names on this forum.

With amusement I read the info about Fort Ross. While we won't settle this debate by screaming at each other on a forum, and I have no time for a pointless debate, there are a couple of places to find serious info: The Center for Columbia River History in Vancouver, Washington and the Oregon History Project at the University of Oregon in Corvallis, OR might be eye-opening for some.

I had wished to point out that prior to the Russian revolution in 1917, the USA and Russia were on good terms. And that included ironing out wrinkles with countries like Russia (and Spain and Great Britian) over who controlled the Pacific Northwest in our quest for Manifest Destiny "from sea to shining sea."

Even more importantly, I think it's high time for the US and Russia to again be allies. And that isn't happening, and not all of that is Russia's fault. Ordinary guys, like you and me, can have an influence in public policy in both countries. Don't you feel it's worth the effort?

Bach, I would have thought you intelligent enough to understand that in today's world the one thing an international journalist values over just about anything else is privacy. You won't find Tom Brokaw (and I am certainly not claiming to be Tom) revealing his identity either. And while I'm not targeted for assissination (well maybe my Russian MIL but that's another story), my family's safety (and there are nuts out there who make threats to any kind of published journalist) is more important to my wife and children than for me to fling it about the world wide web.

So here is a deal for you: Next time you travel to Moscow let me know. We can meet somewhere public and if I'm convinced you are not a deranged Russian hating idiot, I'll give you a tour. It will include one, or maybe even two popular Russian magazines and a national Russian network. Russian media is pretty closed to the public and via the security processes we will go thru, you'll understand whether or not I'm lying about access to media. You'll need to get me a passport copy and a background check will be done in advance. That part is not for my benefit--it will be a requirement of the people who will grant us such access. Fair enough?

There is a reason why all of us, yourself included, use handles on a public forum. A more substantial way to find out whether or not I'm an imposter or know more than a little something about life and culture in the FSU would be to reasonable discuss life there. I've not called into question your time in Russia or Ukraine so certainly there could be some things we could discuss. Such might be fruitful to new guys who have not yet traveled or are afraid of traveling there.

And it would certainly be more productive than called each other names on this forum.

quote:The Center for Columbia River History in Vancouver, Washington and the Oregon History Project at the University of Oregon in Corvallis, OR might be eye-opening for some.
    Most are just familiar with the Malvinas islands being claimed by the UK or Argentina (as a result of decolonization of the Spanish colonial empire ). Few know France held claims over these islands and a french explorer laid the french flag there. Hardly a reason to claim France owned Malvinas.

quote:The Center for Columbia River History in Vancouver, Washington and the Oregon History Project at the University of Oregon in Corvallis, OR might be eye-opening for some.
    Most are just familiar with the Malvinas islands being claimed by the UK or Argentina (as a result of decolonization of the Spanish colonial empire ). Few know France held claims over these islands and a french explorer laid the french flag there. Hardly a reason to claim France owned Malvinas.

Question for cooldadman, journalist.

I begin by saying I respect your knowledge, and found your postings informative. I hope you answer, but of course will understand if you don't.

You are married to a Russian lady. Your marriage seems functional. This makes you the elusive "success story" that at least two other participants have challenged to come forward.

But I get the impression that, unlike most RW seekers, you are a man who has:

(1) more than a passing command of the Russian language,
    (2) a good understanding of the people there, and,
    most significantly,
    (3) WEALTH. You can afford the constant airfares back and forth to Russia, and you own residences in America and in Moscow - arguably the most expensive city on Earth.

From your observations, would you say that unless an RW-Seeker has all three of these things, he is just spinning his wheels?

Question for cooldadman, journalist.

I begin by saying I respect your knowledge, and found your postings informative. I hope you answer, but of course will understand if you don't.

You are married to a Russian lady. Your marriage seems functional. This makes you the elusive "success story" that at least two other participants have challenged to come forward.

But I get the impression that, unlike most RW seekers, you are a man who has:

(1) more than a passing command of the Russian language,
    most significantly,
    (3) WEALTH. You can afford the constant airfares back and forth to Russia, and you own residences in America and in Moscow - arguably the most expensive city on Earth.

From your observations, would you say that unless an RW-Seeker has all three of these things, he is just spinning his wheels?

quote1) more than a passing command of the Russian language,
    most significantly,
    the other poster will answer if he so wishes.
    my answer is a sound: YES, with #2 coming second.
    Of course one has not to live in Moscow downtown and has not to be a millionaire or other glamour (fake) charachter you find on the internet so often, but a certain amount of wealth and "disposable income" is a must.
    I will relocate there whenever possible...maybe i'm just deluded, but i think most fortnight millionaires might very likely end up as:

http://stop-scammers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=755

quote:AND HERE IT TURNS OUT:
    The apartment is tiny. The couch on the foto is in someone else's
    apartment. He lives at the edge of a small town and out
    of his kitchen window one can see a near by farm. The living room
    furniture is about 20 years old. And the groom himself
    is not as happy in his own world as he was in Russia. He is not on
    vacation. He is at home. And it's very different. Here he
    is worried about his problems. He is often in a bad mood. Upon
    receiving a new bill he is nervously touching his mustage.

He gets impatient with Lena. He gets annoyed at her son just by
    looking at him. Conversations in Russian with lena's son
    make him crimson red. He is always imagining they are discussing him.
    Lena feels increasingly uneasy, nobody is flying her to Maiami. At
    the supermarket she meets his angry stare when she
    reaches for a colorful box of cookies. But the real fight happens
    when the phone bill arrives end of the month. Lena often
    calls home to share her worries with her mom. The life becomes
    unbearable but there is no way to return. She is already
    married. She left her job, burned her bridges. No, of course it's
    possible to come back. But? Lena, are you crazy?! ?
    a friend is screaming into the phone, - there are no jobs...The water
    is turned off. A little boy was raped in school.
    Lena calms doen for the time being. But not for long. She looks at
    the aging apartment and at a husband whom she is
    beginning to hate and tears feel her eyes..

quote1) more than a passing command of the Russian language,
    most significantly,
    the other poster will answer if he so wishes.
    my answer is a sound: YES, with #2 coming second.
    Of course one has not to live in Moscow downtown and has not to be a millionaire or other glamour (fake) charachter you find on the internet so often, but a certain amount of wealth and "disposable income" is a must.
    I will relocate there whenever possible...maybe i'm just deluded, but i think most fortnight millionaires might very likely end up as:

http://stop-scammers.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=755

quote:AND HERE IT TURNS OUT:
    The apartment is tiny. The couch on the foto is in someone else's
    apartment. He lives at the edge of a small town and out
    of his kitchen window one can see a near by farm. The living room
    furniture is about 20 years old. And the groom himself
    is not as happy in his own world as he was in Russia. He is not on
    vacation. He is at home. And it's very different. Here he
    is worried about his problems. He is often in a bad mood. Upon
    receiving a new bill he is nervously touching his mustage.

He gets impatient with Lena. He gets annoyed at her son just by
    looking at him. Conversations in Russian with lena's son
    make him crimson red. He is always imagining they are discussing him.
    Lena feels increasingly uneasy, nobody is flying her to Maiami. At
    the supermarket she meets his angry stare when she
    reaches for a colorful box of cookies. But the real fight happens
    when the phone bill arrives end of the month. Lena often
    calls home to share her worries with her mom. The life becomes
    unbearable but there is no way to return. She is already
    married. She left her job, burned her bridges. No, of course it's
    possible to come back. But? Lena, are you crazy?! ?
    a friend is screaming into the phone, - there are no jobs...The water
    is turned off. A little boy was raped in school.
    Lena calms doen for the time being. But not for long. She looks at
    the aging apartment and at a husband whom she is
    beginning to hate and tears feel her eyes..

Ham & Co.

I am a successful businessman in my early 40's, with two graduate degrees, including a top 10 MBA program. Money is not a problem for me.

In the last decade, I have made many friends who married or are married to FSU women. Are they universally miserable? For the most part, I would say "yes," with a couple of exceptions.

I am not a Russian hating idiot. Far from it. I have nothing but deep admiration for the Russian people and their culture. That is what led me to become involved with my FSU woman in the first place.

I do think that love with a FSU woman is possible, just not through an agency. I also think that 99% of the women looking for men through agencies are going to have the same unrealistic expectations that the poor duraks who sign up there also have. It is a clash of cultures, expectations, life styles, and values. It is not for the fainthearted, the weak, the self-conscious, or anyone with a thin pocketbook.

So I say, good for cooldadman. Just don't throw your shoulder out of joint slapping yourself on the back. For every one of you, there are fifty of us.