Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New website?

Elena, my wife would agree with you 100%. She divides Russians here into "good Russians" and "bad Russians." Although we are both outgoing and friendly, she is more reserved when meeting someone new in the RU/Ukr community until she knows them better.

One more note to Seajay in response to earlier question:

In my particular case I had already converted to Orthodoxy out of religious conviction. Seeing in the FSU that there were two kinds of Orthodox, the "Easter and Christmas" believer and the person who practiced their faith all year long, I only considered the practicing Orthodox girls for a future wife.

If it was important to me to be Orthodox, then it made sense to find a wife who felt the same way. As a nice side effect, this assured me of someone who had strong morals, understood marriage to be a sacred sacrament, and who believed that divorce has spiritual consquences as well.

If I were to seek a wife again, God forbid, I would take the same route again. I just can't imagine scammers covering their heads in church on Sunday, bowing before Icons, and standing thru a 3 hour liturgy before going back to their scam business. And the Orthodox faith works hard to instill respect, humility, and frugality in living. All those things can be in a genuine guys favour...even if he isn't Orthodox.

An Orthodox service is very different from a typical American church experience, but even so you can get a glimpse of some of the most lovely ladies in a church on Sunday. Demographers say there is a "spiritual awakening" (their term) going on today in the region and there are available single ladies to pick from out of this pool.

Of course there are wonderful RW who don't practice their faith, and I do not judge them. But in this kind of adventure where men don't often understand the culture, language and pitfalls, every little advantage helps.

One more note to Seajay in response to earlier question:

In my particular case I had already converted to Orthodoxy out of religious conviction. Seeing in the FSU that there were two kinds of Orthodox, the "Easter and Christmas" believer and the person who practiced their faith all year long, I only considered the practicing Orthodox girls for a future wife.

If it was important to me to be Orthodox, then it made sense to find a wife who felt the same way. As a nice side effect, this assured me of someone who had strong morals, understood marriage to be a sacred sacrament, and who believed that divorce has spiritual consquences as well.

If I were to seek a wife again, God forbid, I would take the same route again. I just can't imagine scammers covering their heads in church on Sunday, bowing before Icons, and standing thru a 3 hour liturgy before going back to their scam business. And the Orthodox faith works hard to instill respect, humility, and frugality in living. All those things can be in a genuine guys favour...even if he isn't Orthodox.

An Orthodox service is very different from a typical American church experience, but even so you can get a glimpse of some of the most lovely ladies in a church on Sunday. Demographers say there is a "spiritual awakening" (their term) going on today in the region and there are available single ladies to pick from out of this pool.

Of course there are wonderful RW who don't practice their faith, and I do not judge them. But in this kind of adventure where men don't often understand the culture, language and pitfalls, every little advantage helps.

[quote]Originally posted by cooldadman

My biggest challenge is convincing my wife that there is a good reason to continue living in the USA. If it weren't for my two daughters here, I know she would pressure me to be an expat and live there full time.

Well, being in a stable, meaningful relationship entails co-operation and communication on a daily basis from the mundane to the life changing.

Compromise needs to be present also. Seems to me this could be sorely lacking if your wife feels she has to pressure you into making a decision she chooses over your wishes. It seems your daughters even have priority over your wishes.

Not good in my book.

[quote]Originally posted by cooldadman

My biggest challenge is convincing my wife that there is a good reason to continue living in the USA. If it weren't for my two daughters here, I know she would pressure me to be an expat and live there full time.

Well, being in a stable, meaningful relationship entails co-operation and communication on a daily basis from the mundane to the life changing.

Compromise needs to be present also. Seems to me this could be sorely lacking if your wife feels she has to pressure you into making a decision she chooses over your wishes. It seems your daughters even have priority over your wishes.

Not good in my book.

quote:If I were to seek a wife again, God forbid, I would take the same route again. I just can't imagine scammers covering their heads in church on Sunday, bowing before Icons, and standing thru a 3 hour liturgy before going back to their scam business. And the Orthodox faith works hard to instill respect, humility, and frugality in living. All those things can be in a genuine guys favour...even if he isn't Orthodox.
    one among the biggest conmen and fraudsters i know is a deacon in some "born again" sect.
    Christianity can and often will be seen as cheap soap: the bigger the sin, the bigger forgiveness will be (told to me by another scoundrel turned religious zealot ).

quote:If I were to seek a wife again, God forbid, I would take the same route again. I just can't imagine scammers covering their heads in church on Sunday, bowing before Icons, and standing thru a 3 hour liturgy before going back to their scam business. And the Orthodox faith works hard to instill respect, humility, and frugality in living. All those things can be in a genuine guys favour...even if he isn't Orthodox.
    one among the biggest conmen and fraudsters i know is a deacon in some "born again" sect.
    Christianity can and often will be seen as cheap soap: the bigger the sin, the bigger forgiveness will be (told to me by another scoundrel turned religious zealot ).

Ham, a lot of harm can be done in the name of religion. So can a lot of harm be done in suppressing free expression of sincere faith. That is why its a personal decision. In my understanding the deacon you reference will spend just as much time in hell as the "sinner" down the street.

Sincere and genuine faith, while never perfect, should lead to living with others in respect and justice. The good book defines the difference between true religion and bad, saying that true religion leads men to walk humbly with each other and caring for the sick, the widow and the fatherless.

Unfortunately there are those, as you point out, who try to use religion as a cover for their own failings. Fortunately, God isn't stupid and promises to judge their behaviour.

Belief in a sincere and genuine religious expression does not make all it's adherents weak or inferior. In many cases it makes them strong.

Ham, a lot of harm can be done in the name of religion. So can a lot of harm be done in suppressing free expression of sincere faith. That is why its a personal decision. In my understanding the deacon you reference will spend just as much time in hell as the "sinner" down the street.

Sincere and genuine faith, while never perfect, should lead to living with others in respect and justice. The good book defines the difference between true religion and bad, saying that true religion leads men to walk humbly with each other and caring for the sick, the widow and the fatherless.

Unfortunately there are those, as you point out, who try to use religion as a cover for their own failings. Fortunately, God isn't stupid and promises to judge their behaviour.

Belief in a sincere and genuine religious expression does not make all it's adherents weak or inferior. In many cases it makes them strong.

Bach, your points are well taken. Thank you.