Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Default "Anastasiya" scam?

I have recently been contacted by email by a certain Anastasiya (no surname given) who also goes by the Muslim name "Nadira." She claims to be a nurse working in a children's hospital, and she has stated that she is the daughter of a strict (deceased) Muslim father, who apparently endowed his only off-spring with conservative Islamic values, such as filial piety and chastity.

What concerns me about her emails is the address she uses, one "Pushkina Street 72-48," which is located in Kazan, Russia. This residence appears alarmingly close to another would be "Russian bride" named MARIA EVDOKLIMOVA, who is black-marked as a spammer on this website (http://www.stop-scammers.com/scammer.asp?id=1754). The photographs of this "Anastasiya" (http://redstar.serverok.org/photo/1.jpg) bear a striking resemblance to the aforementioned Maria Evdoklimova, although the bridge of Anastasiya's nose is perhaps configured differently from Maria's. Anastasiya has boasted of having green eyes, the same colour as Maria Evdoklimova's.

Is there any information on these individual/s that can be revealed on this forum? [img][/img]http://redstar.serverok.org/photo/2.jpg

Radiant, personally I put very little stock in most of the scammer listings...and the websites that list them. Far too many mistakes, miscommunications and mis-identities to believe most of the info to be reliable.

However with that being said, I will venture that this lady is likely a scammer. If someone here or anywhere else labels a gal as a scammer you have the right to ask why. I'll explain my suspicion as follows.

What do you know about Kazan? For the sake of any newer guys to the RW dating scene, Kazan is the capital of the Tatarstan Republic, a self-governing member of the Russian Federation. It is almost like a country within a country. Self-ruling internally, yet a part of Russia. By constitutional treaty the Republic governs it's internal affairs and Moscow represents it on the world stage diplomatically.

It's the single most economically productive Republic outside the northern oil regions. 45% of all factory goods produced in Russia come from this region. Kazan is a beautiful city, founded in the 11th century, and home to lovely mosques, churches and museums. I've found that region to be very beautiful and recommend you consider traveling there if you find the right lady.

I won't bore you with a sweeping history of how the (Asian) Muslim Tatars at one time ruled Russia until the time of Ivan the Terrible and his successors. Suffice it to say that the population is mixed both ethnically and religiously but in this part of Russia, the Muslim religion outnumbers the Orthodox. No less than 70 languages are spoken in the Republic. The diversity brings to mind the old expression of "scratch a Russian and underneath you'll find a Tatar."

The shift in religious (and cultural) balance is significant from the perspective of how dating is done and it brings some special travel considerations given the Muslim cultural influences. It also dictates the courtship/martial customs of the girls.

RED FLAG: She claims to have been brought up in a strict Muslim home. Interesting that she is seeking a western (and likely Christian) man. It's hard for us to understand, but in her family a marriage to a non-Muslim (for a "strict" family) is earthshattering.

Write back and say that you are a dedicated Christian and it is important for you to go to a church each Sunday with the family as a sign of spiritual unity. If she is genuinely interested in you she may wish to discuss this at length to find exactly what you mean or to suggest a compromise. A scammer will tell you it doesn't matter (because it doesn't--only money matters) and will proceed to fall in love within the first few letters.

Scammers like money--they don't like for you to travel. Explain your plan to travel to Kazan if the relationship develops over a reasonable period of time and a genuine lady will be excited. Begin to ask genuine questions that any potential suitor would ask--names of parents, grandparents, family stories and history (share your own stories/history as well) and if she is genuine all this will be forthcoming. A scammer will be bored out of their tree and certainly has no time to waste on building a genuine relationship.

If she is a scammer and senses you are serious in traveling, she will stop writing to you. She (or he) just can't afford to give you too much information if you really will come to her city. It is too dangerous to give you too much info or to allow a real meeting.

Most scams work because scammers know that:

1) You aren't really coming to visit. Statistics say less than 5% of men who write passionate love letters will ever travel. (That is as big a SCAM as the RW scammers!)

2) Most western men are lazy and easily suckered into sending money for travel without knowing the travel/visa restrictions. Fools believe it's easier to have her come here...never understanding the value of an investigative trip into her world.

Finally, it is okay for a lady to mention things like the cost of emails, cost/effort of transportation to get to an internet cafe, etc, as long as she doesn't come outright and ask for money. Why is this okay and not a scam?

If you understood how she thinks, this is one of the ways she subtlely communicates with you that she is serious. She is giving a reminder that she is making an investment in the relationship too and hopes that you will be serious and honor her investment by not playing on your keyboard with no real intention of travel someday.

Remember, unlike your easy access to internet at work and home, it really does cost her something for email, time and bus fare for travel to an internet cafe, etc. We sit in the comfort of our living rooms and don't understand the vast differences between our cultures. Letters coming from the same computer really mean nothing. A lady may rent or trade services for use of a computer with a friend or neighbor. Whether paying a neighbor or the internet cafe--it's still an expense.

Sharing truth about what it "costs" her is part of communication in building an open and honest relationship. ASKING FOR MONEY is inappropiate.

Before posting a lady's info all over the internet for the slightest perceived transgression remember that we are trying to jump many hurdles including those of language, culture and expectations.

And always remember this...when a western man SCAMS a RW by building up her hopes with no intention to travel--that stupid American man SCAM has cost an innocent lady (and her child) money, heartache, wasted time, false hope and embarrassment.

Radiant, personally I put very little stock in most of the scammer listings...and the websites that list them. Far too many mistakes, miscommunications and mis-identities to believe most of the info to be reliable.

However with that being said, I will venture that this lady is likely a scammer. If someone here or anywhere else labels a gal as a scammer you have the right to ask why. I'll explain my suspicion as follows.

What do you know about Kazan? For the sake of any newer guys to the RW dating scene, Kazan is the capital of the Tatarstan Republic, a self-governing member of the Russian Federation. It is almost like a country within a country. Self-ruling internally, yet a part of Russia. By constitutional treaty the Republic governs it's internal affairs and Moscow represents it on the world stage diplomatically.

It's the single most economically productive Republic outside the northern oil regions. 45% of all factory goods produced in Russia come from this region. Kazan is a beautiful city, founded in the 11th century, and home to lovely mosques, churches and museums. I've found that region to be very beautiful and recommend you consider traveling there if you find the right lady.

I won't bore you with a sweeping history of how the (Asian) Muslim Tatars at one time ruled Russia until the time of Ivan the Terrible and his successors. Suffice it to say that the population is mixed both ethnically and religiously but in this part of Russia, the Muslim religion outnumbers the Orthodox. No less than 70 languages are spoken in the Republic. The diversity brings to mind the old expression of "scratch a Russian and underneath you'll find a Tatar."

The shift in religious (and cultural) balance is significant from the perspective of how dating is done and it brings some special travel considerations given the Muslim cultural influences. It also dictates the courtship/martial customs of the girls.

RED FLAG: She claims to have been brought up in a strict Muslim home. Interesting that she is seeking a western (and likely Christian) man. It's hard for us to understand, but in her family a marriage to a non-Muslim (for a "strict" family) is earthshattering.

Write back and say that you are a dedicated Christian and it is important for you to go to a church each Sunday with the family as a sign of spiritual unity. If she is genuinely interested in you she may wish to discuss this at length to find exactly what you mean or to suggest a compromise. A scammer will tell you it doesn't matter (because it doesn't--only money matters) and will proceed to fall in love within the first few letters.

Scammers like money--they don't like for you to travel. Explain your plan to travel to Kazan if the relationship develops over a reasonable period of time and a genuine lady will be excited. Begin to ask genuine questions that any potential suitor would ask--names of parents, grandparents, family stories and history (share your own stories/history as well) and if she is genuine all this will be forthcoming. A scammer will be bored out of their tree and certainly has no time to waste on building a genuine relationship.

If she is a scammer and senses you are serious in traveling, she will stop writing to you. She (or he) just can't afford to give you too much information if you really will come to her city. It is too dangerous to give you too much info or to allow a real meeting.

Most scams work because scammers know that:

1) You aren't really coming to visit. Statistics say less than 5% of men who write passionate love letters will ever travel. (That is as big a SCAM as the RW scammers!)

2) Most western men are lazy and easily suckered into sending money for travel without knowing the travel/visa restrictions. Fools believe it's easier to have her come here...never understanding the value of an investigative trip into her world.

Finally, it is okay for a lady to mention things like the cost of emails, cost/effort of transportation to get to an internet cafe, etc, as long as she doesn't come outright and ask for money. Why is this okay and not a scam?

If you understood how she thinks, this is one of the ways she subtlely communicates with you that she is serious. She is giving a reminder that she is making an investment in the relationship too and hopes that you will be serious and honor her investment by not playing on your keyboard with no real intention of travel someday.

Remember, unlike your easy access to internet at work and home, it really does cost her something for email, time and bus fare for travel to an internet cafe, etc. We sit in the comfort of our living rooms and don't understand the vast differences between our cultures. Letters coming from the same computer really mean nothing. A lady may rent or trade services for use of a computer with a friend or neighbor. Whether paying a neighbor or the internet cafe--it's still an expense.

Sharing truth about what it "costs" her is part of communication in building an open and honest relationship. ASKING FOR MONEY is inappropiate.

Before posting a lady's info all over the internet for the slightest perceived transgression remember that we are trying to jump many hurdles including those of language, culture and expectations.

And always remember this...when a western man SCAMS a RW by building up her hopes with no intention to travel--that stupid American man SCAM has cost an innocent lady (and her child) money, heartache, wasted time, false hope and embarrassment.

Thankyou cooldadman for your extremely informative reply. Perhaps I have been to pre-emptive in revealing personal information about this woman on a public forum but I am tired of "Natasha's" pounding my email box with dubious proclamations of love for me when they don't know who I am from a bar of soap.

I have lived in several third world countries where, despite the grinding poverty, the women are far to dignified to throw themselves shamelessly at the nearest western male just so they can move up the socio-economic ladder at the cost of their integrity and honour. These Russian woman are well educated and live in a country with a creaking but still effective welfare system that can cater to their basic needs. They will never suffer extreme deprivation, so there is no need for them to sell their self-worth online to the nearest European or American male in a fraudulent scam or for a non-existant shangri-la in the rich west.

I will use the advice you gave me regarding asking "Anastasiya" about her relatives and religious inclinations and see where it leads me.

Thankyou once again.

Thankyou cooldadman for your extremely informative reply. Perhaps I have been to pre-emptive in revealing personal information about this woman on a public forum but I am tired of "Natasha's" pounding my email box with dubious proclamations of love for me when they don't know who I am from a bar of soap.

I have lived in several third world countries where, despite the grinding poverty, the women are far to dignified to throw themselves shamelessly at the nearest western male just so they can move up the socio-economic ladder at the cost of their integrity and honour. These Russian woman are well educated and live in a country with a creaking but still effective welfare system that can cater to their basic needs. They will never suffer extreme deprivation, so there is no need for them to sell their self-worth online to the nearest European or American male in a fraudulent scam or for a non-existant shangri-la in the rich west.

I will use the advice you gave me regarding asking "Anastasiya" about her relatives and religious inclinations and see where it leads me.

Thankyou once again.

Radiant, I wish you well with her, although as you very wisely pointed out in your post, the syndrome of falling in love after a few paragraphs certainly must get old and be very discouraging.

Did you say her name is Anastasiya? Okay, now you can be almost certain she is a scammer. I didn't catch that on your original post--sorry, my bad. I only noted her Muslim name.

Anastasiya is an Orthodox Christian SAINT name! What would a girl from a strict Muslim family be doing with the name of a Christian saint? Very interesting. Okay, ask her to explain it to you! That should be fun.

Russian names often work as such: The first name of a child is often selected by the family's priest, often in consultation with the parents. Most often the name is drawn from an Orthodox Christian saint who died on the day of the child's birth (it's considered to be the saint's "eternal" or heavenly birthday). So if a little girl is born on June 1, it is a good bet that she will be given the name of a female saint whose eternal birthday was on, or closest to, June 1. Same procedure for boys.

Of course the middle (Patronymic) name comes from the father. In adult life the surname (family name) becomes less important and the person is addressed formally by the first and middle names. The surname is there for legal purposes but not considered as important.

Anastasiya has Greek roots, brought to Russia by Orthodox missionaries. Very unusual for a Muslim girl. Very odd that she uses both it and Nadira.

Radiant, I wish you well with her, although as you very wisely pointed out in your post, the syndrome of falling in love after a few paragraphs certainly must get old and be very discouraging.

Did you say her name is Anastasiya? Okay, now you can be almost certain she is a scammer. I didn't catch that on your original post--sorry, my bad. I only noted her Muslim name.

Anastasiya is an Orthodox Christian SAINT name! What would a girl from a strict Muslim family be doing with the name of a Christian saint? Very interesting. Okay, ask her to explain it to you! That should be fun.

Russian names often work as such: The first name of a child is often selected by the family's priest, often in consultation with the parents. Most often the name is drawn from an Orthodox Christian saint who died on the day of the child's birth (it's considered to be the saint's "eternal" or heavenly birthday). So if a little girl is born on June 1, it is a good bet that she will be given the name of a female saint whose eternal birthday was on, or closest to, June 1. Same procedure for boys.

Of course the middle (Patronymic) name comes from the father. In adult life the surname (family name) becomes less important and the person is addressed formally by the first and middle names. The surname is there for legal purposes but not considered as important.

Anastasiya has Greek roots, brought to Russia by Orthodox missionaries. Very unusual for a Muslim girl. Very odd that she uses both it and Nadira.

Hey radiant, the odds are that if she contacted you first, she's a scammer. Heck, go ahead and write to her.

I've corresponded with some pretty stupid scammers who do things like tell you they are in love and want to be with you after 3 e-mails, and ask for passport/visa money by the 4th.

Honestly, I haven't been persuing the FSUW route that long, but I've quickly learned a few things. Luckily I've been smart enough to see the "red flags" in time and haven't given up any cash to the scammers.

I have paid a couple of bucks to have two checked out, but the others were obvious. [:I] Check the blacklist here and elsewhere. Don't just look at pics, but check out some e-mails. You may start to see a pattern. Oh, and just because you don't see "her" on a blacklist, doesn't mean "she's" okay.

Train

Hey radiant, the odds are that if she contacted you first, she's a scammer. Heck, go ahead and write to her.

I've corresponded with some pretty stupid scammers who do things like tell you they are in love and want to be with you after 3 e-mails, and ask for passport/visa money by the 4th.

Honestly, I haven't been persuing the FSUW route that long, but I've quickly learned a few things. Luckily I've been smart enough to see the "red flags" in time and haven't given up any cash to the scammers.

I have paid a couple of bucks to have two checked out, but the others were obvious. [:I] Check the blacklist here and elsewhere. Don't just look at pics, but check out some e-mails. You may start to see a pattern. Oh, and just because you don't see "her" on a blacklist, doesn't mean "she's" okay.

Train