Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

quote:Originally posted by ham
    Even some of the most "established" charachters ( forget about small-time scammers who ask you to wire money and then disappear ) are somewhat shady: multiple identities or contested identities; no walk-in facilities;
    Maybe their own security is a problem? If you cross the paths with a scam ring run by Chechens (there is at least one in Yoshkar-Ola) and they lose $5000 or so potential money, for example, guess what they can walk in, too.

As long as they (PIs) are easy to reach by phone, and can arrange a personal meeting if necessary, I would not hold "no walk-in facilities" against them.

quote:Originally posted by ham
    mystery business practices;
    That has to do done sometimes because the investigators do not always manage to follow the letter of the law to every "t." They won't put in writing everything they do, because some smart clients forward their entire report to the girl.

quote:Originally posted by hammixed reviews leaning on the bad side, whatever.
    THAT is a problem. However, those mixed reviews can be an inaccurate representation of the agency's work overall. Most people who receive great service rarely publish any reviews (also, many don't want anyone to know that they used the detective at all). It is the ones that do feel like they been scammed that will go to every possible forum and write something nasty. So, the reviews "leaning on the bad side" does not mean that it is the accurate % of clients reporting their good and bad experiences. I personally do not know of any bad reviews about myself, but I am sure that there are a couple, simply because we have had disastorous investigations a few times in the past few years.

quote:Originally posted by hamAs a plus, some claim it is "impossible" to run a proper "investigation" business in the open in some FSU countries, due to some "law" ( again: other say this isn't true ).
    And both are right. It is just what exactly one considers "proper" that they probably disagree on. In Ukraine, pretty much all private investigations are not legal and the investigators are still working, but they are limited in the number of services they can offer (of course, if they make a deal with the local LE employees to do the work that they can't do themselves, the problem is solved but the price goes up). In Russia, the private investigations are borderline legal, because the federal law about private investigators allows certain things but the Constitution prohibits them. Both laws are currently in effect, and until the new law is passed, the investigators work by the old law. If there is a legal dispute, the judge can use either of the laws to make a ruling.

There are several agencies that are indeed suspect.

Marriage4You is part of Yoshkar-Ola marriage agency. They say that they work all over FSU, but I am somewhat doubtful. They even promise investigations in Africa if I am not mistaken.

Mikhail Muinov from AllRussia is also suspect. The prices that he offers cannot buy him the services he offers, specially uniformly on the entire territory of Russia. I feel strongly that his MO is to take money for the entire investigation and then proclaim that the girl does not exist. That is why he does not break the pakage up. We cannot locate any traces of him at the address he provides, and I am not sure he is a PI at all. He claims to be a lawyer. He also claims to work with a number of PI companies who perform the services for him. However, we've contacted about a half of them so far and they never heard of him (we are just trying to locate him for our own reasons). If he is working with them, it must be through some intermediate party.

But there are agencies that advertise on the internet who are legit. Sometimes you can tell just by the pricing system who is serious and who is not.

There are several agencies that are indeed suspect.

Marriage4You is part of Yoshkar-Ola marriage agency. They say that they work all over FSU, but I am somewhat doubtful. They even promise investigations in Africa if I am not mistaken.

Mikhail Muinov from AllRussia is also suspect. The prices that he offers cannot buy him the services he offers, specially uniformly on the entire territory of Russia. I feel strongly that his MO is to take money for the entire investigation and then proclaim that the girl does not exist. That is why he does not break the pakage up. We cannot locate any traces of him at the address he provides, and I am not sure he is a PI at all. He claims to be a lawyer. He also claims to work with a number of PI companies who perform the services for him. However, we've contacted about a half of them so far and they never heard of him (we are just trying to locate him for our own reasons). If he is working with them, it must be through some intermediate party.

But there are agencies that advertise on the internet who are legit. Sometimes you can tell just by the pricing system who is serious and who is not.

Why did anyone delete my post and bothered to remove the "Michael Muinov from Novosibirsk " thread from the "virtual jury" folder? Oh well, i have a full copy on my hard drive.
    Elena, you now criticize one operator, but you were equally criticized in the now sadly missing thread, but it's a relief to know that some operators are TRULY different from others.
    [B)][)]

Why did anyone delete my post and bothered to remove the "Michael Muinov from Novosibirsk " thread from the "virtual jury" folder? Oh well, i have a full copy on my hard drive.
    Elena, you now criticize one operator, but you were equally criticized in the now sadly missing thread, but it's a relief to know that some operators are TRULY different from others.
    [B)][)]

Ham,
    I am contantly criticized. Not only on this board! Check the internet and you will see. Even on my own board people come and tell everyone that only a moron would fall for any detective checks run by a Russian Woman on other Russian women!!!

I never hear any cricism of any particular case that I handled, at least not in my face. But because this topic is such an easy target, I get flamed for it all the time. I don't remember the Muinov thread being any different.

Ham,
    I am contantly criticized. Not only on this board! Check the internet and you will see. Even on my own board people come and tell everyone that only a moron would fall for any detective checks run by a Russian Woman on other Russian women!!!

I never hear any cricism of any particular case that I handled, at least not in my face. But because this topic is such an easy target, I get flamed for it all the time. I don't remember the Muinov thread being any different.

well, i ordered in 2000 a so-called "thorough ID check" from a popular US "online investigation" company and it supplied no more evidence than any smart person ( and i did ) could get using FREE internet sources. I thus wasted those $29,99 or whatever it was.
    When i complained, they gave me the run around and told me i ought to better opt for their "platinum" or whatever package it was, costing many times more.
    Obviously i didn't "buy" it.

well, i ordered in 2000 a so-called "thorough ID check" from a popular US "online investigation" company and it supplied no more evidence than any smart person ( and i did ) could get using FREE internet sources. I thus wasted those $29,99 or whatever it was.
    When i complained, they gave me the run around and told me i ought to better opt for their "platinum" or whatever package it was, costing many times more.
    Obviously i didn't "buy" it.

Was it my company? I don't think so, since I don't think that I would ever offer a "thorough ID check" for $30, I don't think it is even possible.