Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Default Help - my father is in trouble with a Russian girl

Hi all,

I need some advice on whether what follows is a scam.

My father is 59 years old and has for the last year or so been talking to a Russian girl (from St Petersburg) on the internet. She says she is 23. A few weeks ago he paid for her to come over to the UK and spent a couple of weeks with her in a hotel etc. He says they had sex several times and that she is in love with him etc etc. Before she arrived, my father took several thousand pounds from his bank account to pay for her flight tickets, to wine and dine her and to buy her an engagement ring! Before she left to go back home, she told him that she thought she was pregnant, but would confirm in a week or two. She is returning to the UK in a couple of weeks. I cannot believe this girl knows she is pregnant already and that this is a scam. My father is smitten with her and hasn't stopped to wonder why 23 year old girls from the UK aren't throwing themselves at him.

Any insight you guys can provide will help me enormously.

Thank you.

Julian

no insight.
    your father believes what he wants to believe.
    His delusion might cost him dearly in financial&emotional terms, but as you guessed, a 59yo man who thinks 23yo cuties do love him crazily, and he's no a millionaire & no movie star, is probably entangled in his delusion, thinks himself a super-stud or something.
    Pity, because with the money he is wasting on some smart gold-digger or prostitute, he could have bought better or more sex at home without dangerous angles like a pregnacy or worse.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. What can I do to stop this?

I'm completely lost as to what to do next.

I do have a 60 year old friend, who married a 32 year old woman from Cheylabinsk. They seem reasonably happy, but people do wonder what in the world they were thinking. I cannot imagine they have anything remotely resembling a "normal" relationship, but then again, one man's normalcy is another's lunacy. You can do a background check on Dad's Lolita, but odds are he won't appreciate your efforts. It is spaniko noche for Dad.

Hi,

No, you're absolutely right, whenever I mention this girl may not be what she seems, or that she is simply after his money, my dad goes mad! He simply won't accept that she's not passionately in love with him! It's a joke to be honest, but what can I do?

J

I would suggest a strong pre-nuptial agreement that limits her right of inheritance/right to community property on divorce, until an appropriate number of years have lapsed. If she is so in love with your dad, what objections could she possibly have? I am sure there is a solicitor in your vicinity that can handle this. Remind your father that even Sir Paul McCartney got taken in by a one legged Goddess.

All's been said...

Julian, it would be kind of you, if you let us know how your father's relationship progresses; just a report on any new twists. Maybe it will succeed.