Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: psychobabbling

Cit PeopleS:

"You believe that an individual can 'will' him or herself to a higher state, while I say he can only do that which evolution will allow. There is no scientific evidence of 'willing' happening."

There's also no scietific evidence of 'willing' not happening. For the simple reason, that science isn't especially competent in this area. You can just as well ask a priest or a guy at the pub. They are just as qualified.

My suggestion isn't, that 'willing' is a process, where we can go straight from 'will' (without any intermediaries) to directly influencing our degree of 'enligtenment'. While 'magic' (transcending ordinary life manifestations) is a theoretical possibility, as e.g. instantly changing our being at a deep level, or performing meta- or paraphysical acts, that's not what I intended.

What I tried to say is, that inside the scope of ordinary consciousness it is possible to make decisions (choosing, 'willing') such processes, as can lead us to a degree of higher existential functionality, i.e. using our potential more fully. At least some of those examples of methods I brought up ARE verified (meditation, hemisphere syncronization....) to acchieve this aim.

There's nothing especially unattainable or mystic about such methods, they are not more difficult to use than to get a driver's license (which can be bad enough for some people, but usually not impossible). When it comes to it, this is just the same as exercising any other potential we have (learning languages or rollerscating). The limit is our personal motivation.

The discussion has now come to a point, where the subjects 'evidence' and 'belief' are getting central importance. Epistemology. You mention, that monks etc through sensory deprivation experience certain states/situations. From what basis can these experiences be evaluated as evidential or not? Science, psychology, religion or sheer quantity (how many persons have these experiences, and how do they compare)?

Ofcourse it's clearly an advantage to have experienced or have some firsthand knowledge of any 'evidence' before evaluating it. Besides, if we present conclusions, we must also state the 'perspective', from which we observe and examine. At least for the purpose of communication. Otherwise such 'conclusions' will turn into: "Is", ..."isn't", ..."is", which doesn't lead anywhere.

Most human methods for finding truth (and thereby the 'conclusions arrived at), are in one way or another insufficient. We can find 'local' parts on our maps of reality, which fairly accurately describes their own part of the 'territory', but not ALL the territory (of reality). Including science, which while covering its own ground rather well, certainly has some (selfchosen) blind spots.

I'm not trying to introduce sloppy thinking by suggesting, that all 'truths' are true in a relative sense. There are conclusions, which are more accurate or 'true' than others, but they are still only approximatively true compared to ultimate reality. This is not central for this post. Only to prevent suspicions of a philosophy for morons.

Hey swede! The problem is simple. The levels you are talking about, when compared to what I am talking about is like comparing the number 11 to infinitum.

GGB (great grandfather badger), who is a kind of spokesman, or rather spokesbadger, for the wisdom of the forefathers (and ofcourse foremothers) has asked me to post this:

"Because of long, dark and boring winter evenings, dumb blondes invent many words and many things. But never invent petfood for badgers. Now spirits angry."

Honestly, half of the time I don't know, what he's talking about.

With this, and unless something really fascinating turns up, I would like to announce my (possible gradual) retirement from this forum. For me 'psychobabbling' has run its course, and I will continue my exploration of infinity elsewhere.

So for the time being, thanks to all readers and contributors (naturally and especially PeopleS) for joining. It's been a great time. Also thanks to admin of the forum for liberal allowance of our wild digressions. May you all escape the attention of the unintelligent designer of the universe and live your lives in peace.

quote:Originally posted by swede
    [br]GGB (great grandfather badger), who is a kind of spokesman, or rather spokesbadger, for the wisdom of the forefathers (and ofcourse foremothers) has asked me to post this:

"Because of long, dark and boring winter evenings, dumb blondes invent many words and many things. But never invent petfood for badgers. Now spirits angry."

Honestly, half of the time I don't know, what he's talking about.

With this, and unless something really fascinating turns up, I would like to announce my (possible gradual) retirement from this forum. For me 'psychobabbling' has run its course, and I will continue my exploration of infinity elsewhere.

So for the time being, thanks to all readers and contributors (naturally and especially PeopleS) for joining. It's been a great time. Also thanks to admin of the forum for liberal allowance of our wild digressions. May you all escape the attention of the unintelligent designer of the universe and live your lives in peace.
    Well done Swede, thanks. I"m trying to find the time to post all the Eustace Haney letters I've collected the last couple of months. RULadys, URLadys, and all the other Confidential Connection clones are at it again. And... so proud to say this... FSU MOB is out of the house... took Child Protection Services (CPS) to do it, but FINALLY! Whew! Man, I thought this day would never arrive. Absolutely unbelievable.

Hey guys! swede, you will be missed. I hope all is well and that your future is bright. Thanks for the good times here at psychobabbling!

Prometheus, I hope things finally work out for you.

I'm continuing my contact with my FSU huny. I'll only know for sure what the future will be after my next trip. We all know there are certain signals given that a guy can pretty much expect on a second trip since any apprehension and first meeting jitters should be long gone at that point. As I say... we'll see...

In the mean time, things have been kind of weird around Stately Smoks Manor lately. I received a letter from my ex a few weeks ago telling me she has finally straightened herself out, and even more surprising, I ran into the one before her at the local Walgreens (pharmacy). I have to admit, she looked damn good! But, not good enough to overcome past baggage! (... for more than a one time quicky anyway!)

She got back ine the house twice again, but this summer will mark a year of FSU MOB freedom. Damn it's been an impossibly difficult, tough road, but so worth it to be done. She's got her NS-400 on file for citizenship, a new apartment, a new job, and six boyfriends. I'm finally enjoying life again at the mid-century mark with a calm and caring girlfriend, and my children.