Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HELP CATCHING THIS SCAMMER

Please dont blame me, I am just a woman who believed in honesty of people, and yes maybe naive. here is my story, this happended this week. After long emailings and chats and phone calls with this guy that was working in a project in nigeria, all of a sudden he had a money problem and his boss was not around to solve it, i sent the guy $2,000.00 through wester union, not even to his name, because his passport was at the bank and it was easier and faster to address the money to one of his employees. we kept on talking and he was supposed to pay me back in a week. the story is that then i received an email from a doctor telling me that he had an accident and wanted me to call him through this other cell because at the accident scene he was robbed of all his money and personal belongings...today he is requestin money from me to pay for the hospital bills, he told me that his boss had paid back my money, but it was robbed at the accident...he is still contacting me...after a hard landing with reality I realized how stupid and naive I was---in the name of love and all this beautiful things he said---"too good to be true". the case is that I talked to a friend of mine, she openned my eyes---and we decided to see how woud he react----I referred him to a this person,and told him that she worked in a company that helps american citizens with emergencies out of the USA---up to $10,000 pero ocurrence and will have a month to pay back. I even told him that I used this sevice once, and they were great. He then wrote me an email telling me that this was a private matter between him and me, that he didn't want to talk to anyone else, then requested a telephone number to contact me. (He has my cell phone, but I did had some problems with the roaming since I am not at my hometown at the moment. Is there a way i can catch this man? Is there an agency that can help? Please, any advise is welcome. thanks.

i need to add that he contacted me through eharmony, and i checked his name and county and it appeared to be true. he also game me the same addres that shoes up in google when i asked him about his address in the US. Also, it gives you a telephone number that noone aswers because he is not there.

Sorry to hear about your problem, many of us here have been in similar situations and can understand your frustration.

A lot of the other guys on this site knows more about such, than I do, and hopefully they'll turn up with more technical advices soon.

But here's my suggestions:

Whatever evidence you have, you keep. Especially emails still in your mailbox, where it can bee seen from which adress they are sent. Have you called him from your own phone? Do you get a specified telephonebill from your company, which tells each number you have called? Keep that also, as ofcourse any papers concerning the moneytransfer you made. Do you know the name of the company he's supposed to work for? Contact them to verify his employment.

You said, you talked with him. Did he speak american english? IF he's western, you have a chance to get at him (maybe indirectly). Ofcourse especially if the american adress you found is correct. But sad to say, it could be a case of identity-theft, and that would mean, that you'll probably never see your money again or get him to the authorities. But try to check more intensive about this american adress.

In any case I suggest you contact police and the nigerian embassy/consulate. Even if it doesn't lead anywhere, you will help bringing attention to this phenomenon and thereby help others later.

thank you swede, i do have all this information also--when i wass still in my naive mode---and beleive---i did sent an email to tha american embassy in nigeria to see how they were able to help an american citizen in an emergeny situation---i also gave them his cell phone numer to contact him. on the other hand, i haven't had any response from the embassy---also i wrote to the hotel he is staying--to send him a surprise---asking for florist near the hotel and international carriesr they could recommend--and no answer yet. last night he connected to the mesenger and was buzzing me---i was invisible and didnt answer. Today i wrote an email telling him that i overslept last night---and that he should contact my friend---that she is authorized to give him $10,000 but that she needed some information fom him. He has not responded yet. i feel very empty and violated...feel like crying the whole day. thanks---at least i can post here.

thank you swede, i do have all this information also--when i wass still in my naive mode---and beleive---i did sent an email to tha american embassy in nigeria to see how they were able to help an american citizen in an emergeny situation---i also gave them his cell phone numer to contact him. on the other hand, i haven't had any response from the embassy---also i wrote to the hotel he is staying--to send him a surprise---asking for florist near the hotel and international carriesr they could recommend--and no answer yet. last night he connected to the mesenger and was buzzing me---i was invisible and didnt answer. Today i wrote an email telling him that i overslept last night---and that he should contact my friend---that she is authorized to give him $10,000 but that she needed some information fom him. He has not responded yet. i feel very empty and violated...feel like crying the whole day. thanks---at least i can post here.

i have a question, if the emails are coming from an account in yahoo--is there a way to trace that?

thanks.

i have a question, if the emails are coming from an account in yahoo--is there a way to trace that?

thanks.

Hello Swede and Sirena!

Maybe I can offer alittle information regarding this matter! You should also contact the US Secret Service which investigates Internet Fraud and if Possible Interpol because this offense seem's to be International there for Interpol should also be Involved!! I have stated I think in a few of my previous articles some info re African Scamm's and a few countries which the Sacammer's seem to congragate. See Nigerian Scam's! I have had numerous Women from these countries play the same Genre of Scam on me however I no longer fall for it! I have to admit that numerous Women "Alledge Women" have contacted me, a few have come from Elite Mate.com and they want to yahoo chat on messenger. All seem to go in the same direction, Love grow's quickly and I am such a Gentleman and a catch and then soon-Oooooop's they have a problem and need money, the reason's are alittle different but the same intent to me is present!
    I am Sad for your experience too and unfortunately the Scammer's are Ruthless and Heartless so they use our Faith and Trust in Human Nature against Us, Naive of course comes into play but that does not give the Scammer's the Right or Permission to commit Fruad against Good and Honorable People!!!!
    Best Wishes to you Sirena and I Hope I have been of some Help to you!!

Sincerely,

Tone

Hello Swede and Sirena!

Maybe I can offer alittle information regarding this matter! You should also contact the US Secret Service which investigates Internet Fraud and if Possible Interpol because this offense seem's to be International there for Interpol should also be Involved!! I have stated I think in a few of my previous articles some info re African Scamm's and a few countries which the Sacammer's seem to congragate. See Nigerian Scam's! I have had numerous Women from these countries play the same Genre of Scam on me however I no longer fall for it! I have to admit that numerous Women "Alledge Women" have contacted me, a few have come from Elite Mate.com and they want to yahoo chat on messenger. All seem to go in the same direction, Love grow's quickly and I am such a Gentleman and a catch and then soon-Oooooop's they have a problem and need money, the reason's are alittle different but the same intent to me is present!
    I am Sad for your experience too and unfortunately the Scammer's are Ruthless and Heartless so they use our Faith and Trust in Human Nature against Us, Naive of course comes into play but that does not give the Scammer's the Right or Permission to commit Fruad against Good and Honorable People!!!!
    Best Wishes to you Sirena and I Hope I have been of some Help to you!!

Sincerely,

Tone

Hi Sirena,

I know it's hard. I was a wreck myself three months after MY misadventure in Ukraine some years ago. Not only the money, but also the feeling of being trampled emotionally. But you know (even if it doesn't help you just now), that time heals all wounds. And you'll be that much wiser next time. Hopefully without stopping believing in love and decency.

I ofcourse don't know your financial background, but be happy, that you ONLY lost a couple of thousand. Some have lost 5-10 times that.

I am almost an imbecile concerning internet, so my advices are not very deep. But it is my impression, that every email has an identification-number, by which it can be tracked. So should also be the case with the yahoo mails, you have recieved. If none of our resident computer-geniuses turn up here, try to get some local expert to help you. I'm told it's a fairly easy process. If f.ex. your "friend's" email adress turns out to be some internet-cafe, and not the company he pretended to work for, he's probably a local nigerian, who's done some identity theft.

Don't worry about the consulate. It can take some time for them to answer; and it's my personal experience, that american authorities are
    more helpful than many other western officials.