Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ptrjnthn Guest

Default meeting her at St.Petersburg airport

I am meeting a woman at Saint Petersburg airport in June. She recommended that I meet her there. I wasn't suspicious until I heard many "horror" stories about how dangerous this situation can turn. I thought, as she suggested, that it would be better for me (as a stranger in a strange land)to have some one receive me at the airport. She hasn't once asked for money, and said that it is up to me where we meet. What do you think? I have some anti-scamming experience, but this one's a toughy![?]

ptrjnthn

I don't see your point, here. You have to get off the plane at some point and face the music. Why not have someone you at least have been writing to, meet you? Just make sure got the number of good and reputable marriage agency in your pocket, so if anything goes awry you've got a backup plan. If your girl doesn't workout for you, you can use your time in St Petes to meet some more, in person.

Hey, thanks for the insight. I guess I'm a little leary of the situation after reading about other peoples experiences.

ptrjnthn

You're right, this one is a toughy. You may never find out until you get there, but so far, so good. Sounds genuine. Go for it with an open mind ... and best of luck.

Thanks Gordon. I think it will turn out alright. I have received many pictures from this woman. My experience with scammers involved only a few pictures from the woman. Also her letters to me seem very geniune.
    I also think most scams don't involve the man traveling to the woman's country. It's usually the other way around. What do you think?

ptrjnthn

No, it's better not to have her meet you at the airport. Let me tell you why. You never know who you are corresponding with till you meet her in person. The airport is a dangerous place because you are at their mercy. You could be taken somewhere and abducted or robbed for money. They know that you would be carrying a large amount of cash if you are coming from America and just got off the place. It's better to be safe than sorry. Arrange with the hotel you are staying at to provide you with airport transfers. It will cost the same as if you hailed a taxi at the airport, usually less. And you will have the peace of mind knowing you are safe because someone who works at the hotel will be picking you up at the airport. Makes sense right?

You can then arrange to meet your lady or ladies either at your hotel or some central location in St. Petes. Don't get sucked in by translators or agencies either. I once met a lady who had perfect English yet she had a "translator" with her. I refused to pay. Too bad. Anyway you've got to put yourself here first.

John

The airport is just as dangerous place for your girl as it is for you, ptjnthn, after all she doesnt know you either. She is taking a BIG chance on just being alone with you. It doesnt matter where you meet her as long as you are savvy. If you dont know how to handle youself, marry the fat chick with multiple piercings next door..........Just use you head PTJ. stay calm and work through whatever arises. You won't be able to control every situation any way. .......Have a good trip and make the best of it, .....and when you get back ...be sure and come back in here and tell us all how it went. good luck!

Thanks Cowboy. I'll let you know how it all goes.
    Tomorrow I'm going to the Russian consulate to pick up my visa. I hope getting it goes smoothly.
    Now I'm trying to book a hotel. This is turning out to be an adventure in itself.
    My dilemma: The hotel that sent me an invitation and will be named on my visa doesn't have a room for me! Does anyone know if I'll have a problem getting my visa stamped by a different hotel? I include this question in e-mails to hotels, but I haven't received replys yet.

ptrjnthn

ptrjnthn, There's another forum for you to go to where you will get advice and tips from others who have experience in these matters. It is more active than this one and you may get answers faster, go to forum.finance.com Check out all the old threads, this topic has been addressed there.

Cowboy, thanks for the info! I got all of my questions answered. much appreciated!

ptrjnthn